Cleaning/waxing

cobalter
Commander
Commander

Cleaning/waxing

Post by cobalter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Since owning the 210 I have struggled with how to get the hull waxed below the water line, chines and on the trailer. After some research it seems it is not necessary as any wax/sealant on the running surface may in fact slow the boat and only last an hour or so. That was good news. Just wondering if anyone has a different opinion? Here is a quote that seems to have broad support when I search this topic:

Waxing will most definitely slow the boat down!! from Al (209.135.80.246) 5/11/1999 9:46:00 PM
I can't give you the proper explanation as to why, (although I'm sure someone else will be able to),but waxing will allow the water to "stick" to the bottom of the boat more than a clean bottom will. Something to do with the hydrodynamics of water, (almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about). I used to think that if you made the bottom real slick your boat would go faster, no, it will go slower. You shouldn't even wax your prop. When they blueprint the bottom of a boat to take out imperfections they will leave it sanded, which will help to improve the speed. Wax the sides and the rest of the boat, but don't wax the bottom.

So, my plan is to wash from the top down to water line, or wherever I can get to, with a 3M boat soap and then apply a "Marine 31 gel coat carnuba plus sealer" and use a detail spray for the top surfaces on a day to day basis when boating. Will use my dual action polisher with a blue pad to save some work. This should help prevent oxidation and a need for a mild polish at least a few years.

Big Block Power
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Cleaning/waxing

Post by Big Block Power » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:55 pm

Not sure if that's true but it could be. So the boat could be slower for a few hours? Who knows. I do pretty much what you do.but once a year I do the bottom. I will say it helps keep the scum line off/less and a whole lot easier to clean so I'm still going to do it. I'm very happy so far with my bio kleen products.
Attachments
20151203_182229-1.jpg
20151203_182229-1.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 195 times
2003 Cobalt 220 8.1gxi
Neenah Wi

liquid
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Cleaning/waxing

Post by liquid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Your talking about Laminar flow - air bubbles on an unwaxed surface will allow a boat to go faster. For our purposes it's really pointless. Where it matters is for speedboats where fractions of MPH mean a lot or sailboats where fractions also mean a lot!

Waxing the bottom will slow your boat down true, but only for 2-3 trips out before it's stripped off.

I still do it once a year (end of season), I'm already getting rid of the scum line and waxing so why not do it?

Don't break your back doing it but a quick, lazier pass doesn't hurt anyone.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL