Water intrusion

ppkaprince98
Ensign
Ensign

Water intrusion

Post by ppkaprince98 »

Hi everyone, new to this forum and had a question. I looking to buy a 2007 250 with the volvo 8.1gi and ive read a lot about the water intrusion through the exhaust casing major engine problems. Ive also read that the height between the exhaust riser and water level play a big role is those issues. Does anyone know if Cobalt is having these issues or is it specifically a volvo problem? Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
Chris
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Water intrusion

Post by jhnmdahl »

I think this was more of a problem 10+ years ago - I haven't heard of it being a real problem with more current engines, or with the 8.1L block. There's a user on here named "bigblock" who will probably know as well as anyone, but I wouldn't be concerned if it checks out OK.

Edit - found some info that suggests the risers were modified around 2007 to address this, but I'd still confirm it with the local Volvo Penta shop (or some other way) so I knew what I was looking for to see which version I was getting.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I'm on my 2nd 8.1. Yes it's a issue up to 2010. I think the top of the riser had to be 14 inches above the waterline. Both of mine are 2003 no concern here. It wouldn't stop me from buying it. It happens if you come off plane real fast then I believe let it idle or shut it off right away I forget right now. So I never come off plane fast. Merc and Volvo both had the issue.
That is a very nice boat your looking at. I know another guy that has one that has a few things done to his engine. I think closer to 700hp and runs 70mph. It's a sleeper for sure.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

In some of the older boats with a lower rise, people have done things like avoiding overloading the back of the boat, avoiding launching unusually fast with the outdrive down, and avoiding coming off plane by slamming the throttle from planing speed to idle, but I think BigBlock has it right - don't do anything unusual and even the older boats won't have problems.

I wonder if anyone ever came up with an intake runner "riser" that would buy you a few more inches of clearance height? I think this was part of the redesign that improved this issue in more recent models...

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
ppkaprince98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ppkaprince98 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 pm I'm on my 2nd 8.1. Yes it's a issue up to 2010. I think the top of the riser had to be 14 inches above the waterline. Both of mine are 2003 no concern here. It wouldn't stop me from buying it. It happens if you come off plane real fast then I believe let it idle or shut it off right away I forget right now. So I never come off plane fast. Merc and Volvo both had the issue.
That is a very nice boat your looking at. I know another guy that has one that has a few things done to his engine. I think closer to 700hp and runs 70mph. It's a sleeper for sure.
BBP,
Thanks for the reply. Would captians call exhaust (in the factory location) prevent this at all?
Im looking at 2 boats curently, the other is Merc with the 8.1HO and captain calls thats why I ask. However its has much higher hours so Im leaning towards the volvo boat.

Wow, 700hp is a bunch, did he get that out of the 8.1 or has he re-powered?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

No it won't matter if it has cc. I really like the Volvo over the merc. Don't tell anyone. Lol. It's reworked from Schumacher marine. Maint and impeller maint much easier on a Volvo. The Volvo for some reason is much louder than a merc without cc. I don't even feel I need it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!