Auto Fire Suppressor

Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Auto Fire Suppressor

Post by Driller »

Ok, it is a little late to ask this question, but I've put in an order for the Fireboy CG 150 cu ft Fire Suppression system for my boat.

Here's my concern: The fuseable link is set to 175 degrees F. Last weekend the air temp was 104 F. Seems to me this system might automatic discharge under normal operating conditions.

I could put a thermometer in the engine compartment where I plan to mount the system, and that would give me my answer, but I was wondering about member's real life experience. It will likely be a coupled of weeks before I have time to run the test and by that time it may be delivered or too late to stop the shipment.

Does anyone have a similar system that they use in hot climates?

Edit. Sorry John, this post likely goes under safety equipment. Please move if you agree.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Auto Fire Suppressor

Post by Tuscany »

Just a quick thought.
I'm thinking that if you run the blower in the engine compartment on extremely hot days, that should be more than enough to evacuate all of the excess heat. A PITA yes, but a sure method to keeping temps well under control, no matter how hot it is outside.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

To me that sounds low also. Most thermostats open At 170. I would almost think you get more heat when it's sitting after a run and shut it down? I'm sure that's a standard temp but don't know. I never looked at the ones I had in the past.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

I have been wondering this myself, and I keep forgetting to bring a thermometer on the boat. I would like to relocate my auto suppression extinguisher, but want to make sure it isn't any hotter where I want to put it. I'll have to see if it says what the fusible link trips at on mine.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I had time to run a little experiment yesterday and the result were a little surprising.

I had installed my Fireboy auto fire suppressor in the only spot that I could mount it vertically as per the instructions. However, this placed the Fuseable Link only 11 inches from the Starboard exhaust manifold. I was concerned that the temperatures would set it off prematurely (no fire). So prior to mounting the indicator on the helm (which requires drilling a hole), I wanted to monitor the temperatures. If it ever went off prematurely I would have to mount a manual system which would require a different location.

I located a Weber Bluetooth meat thermometer at Home Depot which would let me monitor the probe sensor remotely thru an app.

Here's some photos of the rig up.

You can just see the red useable link in the middle of the brass cap in the first photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

The short version is that even in the worse circumstance where you have been running hard and immediately kill the engine, there is no danger of the temperature approaching the 175 deg limit of the fusible link.

Even with the engine temp at 185 deg. With an air temp of 92 deg, the probe only registered a max of 118. Well below the limit.

The surprising thing is that starting the bilge blower seemed to have no major impact on the temperature. There was a slight drop in the temperature, but it appeared to be just normal engine cool down.

I checked the probe before and after and it was measuring within 1 deg of the sensors on the boat. I feel confident the data is valid. If not it would have to be substantially off for the temperature to become an issue.

The other item of note is that the gap between the probe and the engine temperature separate further as the engine temperature climbs.

I have attached the full graph for your consideration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Very cool experiment , Driller.

Our 24 competition series Fountain had a fire boy extinguisher. The 502 Mag would get hot after racing but we never had any issues with the extinguisher discharging inadvertently.

Thanks for posting those pictures and your results.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Nice work Driller!

So yours actually specified that it had to be mounted vertically? That's a bummer as I really want to lay mine on its side.
2018 Cobalt CS22
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

notstock4long wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 pm Nice work Driller!

So yours actually specified that it had to be mounted vertically? That's a bummer as I really want to lay mine on its side.

Surprisingly, I think most manufacturers mount them horizontally during install when it's selected as an option with a new boat.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

notstock4long wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 pm Nice work Driller!

Yes, very clearly stated, and all videos show it mounted vertically.

I've seen others mounted horizontally directly above the engine, but the instructions were specific.

Model is the CG20125227
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Update: the instructions were revised 6/17/17. It now shows they can be mounted up to 90 deg from vertical (horizontal). I ordered mine early in July, must not have shipped with the revised instructions.

When I looked online to copy, the new instructions were posted.

I'm ok with the location, as I want to use the area over the engine for the battery charger, I've run the temp test, and it is already mounted.🙉🙉🙊
"DIGGIN' IT"