black hull and water spotting

kellyboat
Ensign
Ensign

black hull and water spotting

Post by kellyboat »

I am about to buy a 2016 A3, black hull sides - but have a very hard water lake, Possum Kingdom TX. I am worried about water spotting. Any comments ? Kelly
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: black hull and water spotting

Post by jhnmdahl »

Water spotting can usually be removed with a 50% vinegar solution (especially if it's kept up), and can be managed by waxing your boat just like you'd wax a car. Some people use more aggressive methods like Lime Away if needed, or boat-specific products that of course cost more than they otherwise would like http://www.autogeek.net/hard-water-spot.html

My personal thought is that boats are made to be used, and I wouldn't let water spots keep me from using or enjoying what sounds like a great boat.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
kellyboat
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kellyboat »

Thanks John. I agree on use. But I am a bit Type A. I think I will order one instead - not black...
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I'm the same way and I think it would drive me crazy. However... talk to the guys at Boat Bling, Zach is the guy i spoke with I believe. You can check my post on waxing and interior cleaning. Those guys boat year round in Arizona on a hard water lake (which drove them nuts) which is why they developed their products. Hot Sauce is for everyday use one the hull - quick wipe down = no water spots.

I use it after a day on a non hard water lake anyway because I'm insane. Good Luck!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
mluters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mluters »

kellyboat wrote:I am about to buy a 2016 A3, black hull sides - but have a very hard water lake, Possum Kingdom TX. I am worried about water spotting. Any comments ? Kelly
Kelly, I boat on a lakes out west (Lake Powell, Lake Mead & Lake Mohave) that have hard water and I'm very detailed about the black hull on my Cobalt 262. A 50/50 vinegar and water solution works great on water spots, but if used daily it does seem to remove small amounts of the wax finish. I sometimes use "Hot Sauce" and it also does a great job on water spots...the difference being it contains some wax and helps to keep the finish on the hull. After having this black hull Cobalt for 18 months, I would yes it's a little more work to keep perfect but I would do it again because I like to looks.
2015-07-24 Lake Powell 222 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Cobalt 262 WSS 8.1 HO Volvo Penta 420HP
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

that thing is sick.

Awesome pic too.

Do you use vinyl/condition sauce on the interior too?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
mluters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mluters »

liquid wrote:that thing is sick.

Awesome pic too.

Do you use vinyl/condition sauce on the interior too?
I use 3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner, Protector on the interior

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cleaner-Condit ... PDKIKX0DER
2011 Cobalt 262 WSS 8.1 HO Volvo Penta 420HP
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell