Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

Post by Big Block Power »

It isn't over yet :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TommyTahoe
Commander
Commander

Post by TommyTahoe »

IMG_2071.JPG
The old Landcruiser can still pull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'01 226 5.7GXI
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

When we first towed our boat, we used this Tahoe. It towed with the nose a little high, so we've since gotten a drop hitch to use with it.

We store our boat in a facility near the lake where we boat. When we camp there, we need to use this Jeep to get the boat a few miles from the storage unit to the lake. It does fine power-wise, but is a little light when backing down the ramp. It can slide slightly while backing if the ramp is pretty wet. I figure when we hit the water, it'll stop. (Just kidding.)
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Nice set up - is that your camper too? let's see that thing...
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Here's a photo of the motorhome. We leave our boat in a storage unit at the lake (3 hours away), so when we want to boat, we drive our camper down and stay a few days. We drag the Jeep behind the motorhome and then once we are there, we tow the boat around with the Jeep.
IMG_1042.JPG
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Alaska I like your setup. I used to have a 40 foot fifth wheel toy hauler that I drug all over the country back in my racing days but I sold it when we got our lake house. I still miss taking that thing out. What's up with your screen name? Are you headed there now, or planning on it soon? That's some place I've never been and always wanted to go!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Ytmsn, it's a name we used on a fifth wheel forum several years ago when Alaska was our "big" trip that we wanted to take. We had a 28' 5th wheel that we drug up the Alaska highway in 2011. I now use that name on the Tiffin forum and this forum because I can barely remember where I put my car keys! I don't need another "screen" name to remember. And if you ever have a chance, by all means go. We were gone about 2 months and hope to go again. It was spectacular! Thanks for asking as I always enjoy thinking of that trip.

Dub
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Alaskabound wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm When we first towed our boat, we used this Tahoe. It towed with the nose a little high, so we've since gotten a drop hitch to use with it.

We store our boat in a facility near the lake where we boat. When we camp there, we need to use this Jeep to get the boat a few miles from the storage unit to the lake. It does fine power-wise, but is a little light when backing down the ramp. It can slide slightly while backing if the ramp is pretty wet. I figure when we hit the water, it'll stop. (Just kidding.)

IMG_1038.JPGIMG_0689.JPG
That is a class A vacation kit..
Nice stuff!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's awesome. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a cross country trip once the boys get a bit bigger... I got my eye on a few motorhomes.

Should be a couple years so I've got time to do the kind of OCD research I like to do!

Let's see the inside.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I'm 58 guys.
The one regret I have is not buying a motorhome when my kids were little. Starting a business tends to run you, instead of the other way around. Kids grow lightning fast.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's why I want to do it soon. Mine are 5, 3 & 8 months. I take the big guys camping every year deep in the Adirondacks with a bunch of friends. They love it. Unfortunately my wife won't sleep outside... it's a lost cause. Bears, etc. But she would sleep in a camper/home.

I'd love to buy but I'm also researching renting for an extended trip Griswold style. Grand Canyon etc.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

My wife is the same way. Not exactly a "roughing it" kind of girl. I guess I'm the same way too.
But campers are so nice and roomy now with the slides and nice kitchens that camping and 'roughing it' don't have to go hand in hand.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Ironically, our first camping was in our first boat. The seats folded flat on each side for sleeping. We had a mooring cover for the rain, a Coleman stove & lantern & we were set. Camped on the same lake we go to now. Then we backpacked, had a pop up, travel trailers & fifthwheels. Now the motorhome. It's all great fun. The motorhome we got is about the smallest one Tiffin makes because we like to get into the national parks.

Dub
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I've kicked around a pop-up, but I can't tow the boat then... decisions.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

That's the problem you run into. And a motorhome is not the perfect answer either if you trailer your boat. No way I would try to back down a ramp with MH. Also, we decided we needed a "towed" vehicle to use once we got somewhere. That's a whole other issue. When we bought this boat, the weight of the boat was a factor because we already had the Jeep & MH. Didn't mean to turn this into a camping thread but you're right about "decisions".

Good luck.

Dub