Boat parts for a cobalt boat over 7 years old?

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Boat parts for a cobalt boat over 7 years old?

Post by Big Block Power »

Sorry it's kind of a rant. Ok it's Cobalt policy to not sell parts or certain parts to you if your boat is older than 7 years old. I have no idea why Cobalt would do this. If I want to update to a new tower like John's or a new flip step swim platform I can't with my current hull id. I guess Cobalt parts follow the hull id. How do we repair these boats if something breaks or we back up too far in the garage and damage the platform or forget to take the tower down and damage it? I guess they don't want to let there dealers make money? I have a buddy with a 2004 Cobalt 200 that had his swim platform stolen and he can't get one. We need a current hull id that is newer than 7 years old. So now he had a nice looking boat that has two brackets hanging of the rear of the transom? Up to a 2016 210 or a 220 will still work but the dealers won't order one because it follows the hull id. How many people say can I want to check the id to see how many parts were ordered on your boat when buying it? How can we keep these boats looking like factory when there old and need parts? Yes certain parts you can get from the manufacture. Help me make sense of this.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Boat parts for a boat over 7 years old?

Post by jhnmdahl »

Sounds a little odd to me. Google reveals a handful of boat yards that sell new and used Cobalt boat parts, but it certainly seems odd that Cobalt would be sitting on a part you need and not sell it. Wonder if your dealer could sell you the step off a boat they have in stock, then order a new step for that boat?

Or try a different dealer. I know one here (Erickson Marine) in MN that are pretty straight shooters.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

We could try Ericksons?They won't use any of there hull id numbers At all. They let me take measurements and everything but they won't sell it. We had a hull id from a'2014 and because it wasn't one listed as ours Cobalt kicked the order out. It's just odd. Unless he finds someone that will let them use there id that is registered to them they went order it. He used his dealer in kc and they gave him a price of $2000 more than my dealer. They said my dealer only quoted me a price for the step not the whole platform. We doubled and tripled checked my dealer and they confirmed it was for the whole platform including the brackets even. So he isn't real happy with his dealer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

christaarron wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:38 am Amazing you have stored a boat for 7 years. I think you should search on internet or ask a boat accessories supplier for this. They will suggest you appropriately according to inbuilt structure.
That was over a year ago. Got it handled. Thanks. Just not by the factory.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Its general practice that the Vendors that build parts for auto mfg are not required to keep the tooling and or the stock after a period of time.

One would think that since Cobalt is there own vendor for parts on body and hull they could be a better resource.

We live in a age of computers where most parts people wont event look up an item with out a Vin or Hin in this case.

Cobalt dealers are not integrated either. They can not look up a part number and do a dealer search in the country.
I have called Cobalt and they too don't have the resources to see who in the countrty stocks or who has been sold the part I'm looking for.

My quest for 70mph recently has Left me a speedometer that now bounces.. and in looking for a replacement (calling 30 Cobalt dealers) that I have the part number for the speedometer... No one can find one.

In asking "what other years 282 white face or black face will work"? There is always silence on the other end....

Ill be sending it to Faria Gauge for repair this winter.. They are very nice to deal with. Get my Point?

We need to find a Cobalt dealer whos Part people are on commission maybe??
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

cmattj wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 am Its general practice that the Vendors that build parts for auto mfg are not required to keep the tooling and or the stock after a period of time.

One would think that since Cobalt is there own vendor for parts on body and hull they could be a better resource.

We live in a age of computers where most parts people wont event look up an item with out a Vin or Hin in this case.

Cobalt dealers are not integrated either. They can not look up a part number and do a dealer search in the country.
I have called Cobalt and they too don't have the resources to see who in the countrty stocks or who has been sold the part I'm looking for.

My quest for 70mph recently has Left me a speedometer that now bounces.. and in looking for a replacement (calling 30 Cobalt dealers) that I have the part number for the speedometer... No one can find one.

In asking "what other years 282 white face or black face will work"? There is always silence on the other end....

Ill be sending it to Faria Gauge for repair this winter.. They are very nice to deal with. Get my Point?

We need to find a Cobalt dealer whos Part people are on commission maybe??
Yea it's a different world that's for sure. I wish some of us owned a dealership.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

A lot of it depends on the dealer. I busted a part on my 230 due to stupidity. I had the replacement inside a week. I think having a dealer who is persistent and knows the right people to talk to in the factory is a major help.