Buying out from under someone?

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Buying out from under someone?

Post by jhnmdahl »

A user posted the following on Cobalt's FB page:

Danny Jatzlau - Cobalt Boats are great, but Lakeshore Sports their dealership on Lake Conroe is not so great. I picked out a boat to buy on Tuesday May 10th and the salesman said I could test drive it on Saturday. I talked to him several times that week and even called him on Saturday to let him know I was driving up from Houston. He said the boat was in the water. I went on a test drive and decided I really like the boat and was willing to meet the price or even go a little higher. However when I got back from test drive another saleswoman who was my salesman's boss informed me that she had sold the boat while I was on the test drive. I really do not think this is the way to run a business. She stole the other salesman commission and really made me feel like I had wasted my whole day. She would not let me talk to the owner. She is giving the Cobalt Boat a bad name.

I doubt many will think he is reasonable in blaming Cobalt, but what about the dealer? Should the boat be available to anyone until someone buys it, or would you hold a boat from a certain purchaser for someone who wants to look at or test drive the boat? My inclination is that the dealer handled it right from a business point of view, frustrating as it may be as a consumer.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
wfbacker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Buying out from under someone?

Post by wfbacker »

If something is offered for sale, the first one to enter into a contract with the seller gets it. The seller has no obligation to a potential buyer, just like the potential buyer has no obligation to the seller.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Unfortunately wfbacker is right. But it's not Cobalts fault they Had nothing to do with it. It's a dealer decision. To me bad practice. What we don't know is did the other person drive the boat before? We don't know, did he look at it before? Or just plain buy it site unseen. If it was me I would have said there is someone in it right now and if he doesn't buy it then I would sell it to you. No money down it's not sold. I would have been irate at the dealer too. But I've bought boats from a different state and if I want it I always try to put money down to hold it till I get there. I had one guy say no I don't want money it's yours then another guy local says I'll give you $500 more then the guy calls me back and says well I got s offer of this do if you still want it,it will cost you this now. That's crap too. And the guy also says you got my word I won't sell it to anyone else.Not don't trust anyone.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
wfbacker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by wfbacker »

I certainly would not blame Cobalt for this. It seems like miscommunication between salespeople is the problem.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

There's a limited window/clientale that purchase boats. Is it shitty, yes. Is it sales, yes.

If you want something in this world go get it, don't wait for it - ever.

That being said if i was the guy driving the boat and decided to buy it, came back and someone else sold it... I'm pretty sure i would've still been leaving with that boat... but I'm from Jersey so who knows :twisted:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL