Outboard resurgence.

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Outboard resurgence.

Post by Tuscany »

So, it seems that every boat maker has, or will be adding an outboard model(s) to their line up.
My Dr. was just commenting on how much he loves the outboard engine's power and MPG on his new 24' Sea Ray.
So, before I place my order, what else am I missing here?
Although not attractive to me, Cobalt has added the SC model with a very nice 350 hp option. One has to wonder if more models are to follow?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Outboard resurgence.

Post by jhnmdahl »

I suspect they are. My options if I don't like the engine in my boat are a little more limited - the cost to mount/retrofit something new is not a trivial part of the overall cost. Plus, purpose-built outboards do tend to be a little more efficient in boat applications than retrofit truck engines, although the newest stern drive engines are better than the ones from a few years ago.

Honestly, I think my mind might be made up by the difference in configurations - I like having the rear seats and sun pad laid out the way they are in our 210, and wouldn't trade it for a CS23.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I've been holding off placing my order until after the Toronto Boat Show. I've pretty much settled on an R7, but when spending that much money, I want to see one in person, and you never know what might change in our minds.

The other question I have is salt water use. Although we live and boat just south of Buffalo, we bought a second home in Bonita Springs, Florida.
We aren't close to retiring, and spend 95% of our time at home. Currently, we have no intentions of bringing the boat down there, but in a few years, we might. So we want to ask some questions to a VP representative about the OceanX.
After reading more, and compounding my decision further, an outboard may be a better option for boating in both areas. If we do go that route, it probably won't be a Cobalt.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

My brother works at Merc Marine and he just made the comment yesterday about all the manufactures going to outboards. Unless I lived on the ocean I don't think I would think of one. I would miss the swim platform. The ocean x is a great drive but you will still have issues. He says the sterndrive assembly line is really slowing down.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I never thought of it either, until my Dr. and I started talking boats.
He raved about how his boat will run 50 MPH, and at almost twice the economy of his old stern drive. I started looking into it, and it seems that this is where the industry is heading. Definitely half of the weight and one less 90 degree angle the drive has to deal with.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea it would be nice to see a real life side by side comparison. I wouldn't give up my sterndrive yet. Again the swim platform is huge.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

..and loss of the flip down step.
Sea Ray makes a bunch of them now, but god, the interior layout and square nose is horrid.
Chaparral builds a nice boat, and now have the Suncoast OB, but the size comes up short.

An R5 or R7 with a 350 outboard option may sell.
Although it would be a loss of the platform, the huge motor box will lead to extra storage. Add economy, salt flexibility and quietness..that would win out for me.
Lifting the drive completely out of the water without any bellows issues is also a major plus.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

I think you'll see Cobalt expanding their OB line. Formula has 2 now but nothing under 35 feet. So they're starting to dabble as well. Cobalt usually innovates but I think In this circumstance they're taking their time to get it right. Talking to the dealer here he seems to think you'll get the cs3 with an OB next year and more in the next 18-24 months.
lilhackster
Commander
Commander

Post by lilhackster »

actually formula has a 35 ss that can be configured to out boards with triples, You Tube has a couple of the videos on the formula 430 from the Miami boat show, the swim platform is huge, you now just have the ladder on the sides, I think the A40 with triples or even quads would be a really sweet ride. For me I would prefer outboards just because by having the motors out of the water when your wet slipped like me it stops a lot of growth, corrosion, and just wear from being in the water
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The 25sc doesn't look too well planned in the bow area.
It looks like there are no chaise lounge style seats or a filler cushion insert option.
If that is true, it's a deal killer.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

lilhackster wrote:actually formula has a 35 ss that can be configured to out boards with triples, You Tube has a couple of the videos on the formula 430 from the Miami boat show, the swim platform is huge, you now just have the ladder on the sides, I think the A40 with triples or even quads would be a really sweet ride. For me I would prefer outboards just because by having the motors out of the water when your wet slipped like me it stops a lot of growth, corrosion, and just wear from being in the water
You're 100% right that's why I was phrasing it below 35 feet. The 430 is sweet and at a reasonable $800K! Haha
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 25sc is simply the 24 SD with an outboard setup. But I haven't looked over the exact specifications
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes not sure why they wouldn't make fillers for the bow. The 262 has them and it's not that much different. Sorry guys but I'll take a i/o salt water edition and a swim platform before the outboard. They have a 5 year warranty and I would just upgrade after 5 years or before and see what improvements come out. If you want quiet The new ones are very quiet. Storage I don't think there is a shortage of storage on these boats. I just wish the had storage asking the sides to stuff towels and things in. I know they want clean lines inside and out but that is one big thing I miss from our Crownline.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

If I'm on a freshwater lake I'm not even considering an outboard (unless you're fishing... a lot).

Down in Florida I wouldn't consider in I/O. Definitely outboards in the salt. Looking at this rig right here: https://www.seaveeboats.com/center-cons ... y-edition/

...but i love to fish.

Near Buffalo I'd get your R7 and in a few years you find you're spending more time in Bonita Springs then sell the R7 and get something that fits your needs down there.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Liquid if you like seavee check out nortech. It's a thing of beauty.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Last edited by Tuscany on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine