Outboard resurgence.

Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Re: Outboard resurgence.

Post by Skiingstrongman »

lilhackster wrote:actually formula has a 35 ss that can be configured to out boards with triples, You Tube has a couple of the videos on the formula 430 from the Miami boat show, the swim platform is huge, you now just have the ladder on the sides, I think the A40 with triples or even quads would be a really sweet ride. For me I would prefer outboards just because by having the motors out of the water when your wet slipped like me it stops a lot of growth, corrosion, and just wear from being in the water
You're 100% right that's why I was phrasing it below 35 feet. The 430 is sweet and at a reasonable $800K! Haha
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 25sc is simply the 24 SD with an outboard setup. But I haven't looked over the exact specifications
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes not sure why they wouldn't make fillers for the bow. The 262 has them and it's not that much different. Sorry guys but I'll take a i/o salt water edition and a swim platform before the outboard. They have a 5 year warranty and I would just upgrade after 5 years or before and see what improvements come out. If you want quiet The new ones are very quiet. Storage I don't think there is a shortage of storage on these boats. I just wish the had storage asking the sides to stuff towels and things in. I know they want clean lines inside and out but that is one big thing I miss from our Crownline.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

If I'm on a freshwater lake I'm not even considering an outboard (unless you're fishing... a lot).

Down in Florida I wouldn't consider in I/O. Definitely outboards in the salt. Looking at this rig right here: https://www.seaveeboats.com/center-cons ... y-edition/

...but i love to fish.

Near Buffalo I'd get your R7 and in a few years you find you're spending more time in Bonita Springs then sell the R7 and get something that fits your needs down there.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Liquid if you like seavee check out nortech. It's a thing of beauty.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Last edited by Tuscany on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Tuscany wrote:
liquid wrote:If I'm on a freshwater lake I'm not even considering an outboard (unless you're fishing... a lot).

Down in Florida I wouldn't consider in I/O. Definitely outboards in the salt. Looking at this rig right here: https://www.seaveeboats.com/center-cons ... y-edition/

...but i love to fish.

Near Buffalo I'd get your R7 and in a few years you find you're spending more time in Bonita Springs then sell the R7 and get something that fits your needs down there.
That's the fun of not being in a rush to order. Summer is a long way off, and I have the pleasure to attend a national boat show and weigh all options.
Honestly, I want to buy a boat that I will own for years to come. Too much depreciation to stomach.
I did make one decision though, and that was to put a deposit down on a Loadmaster custom trailer build later this spring. So if I want to tow down there, I'll have a trailer that's solid.
Last edited by Tuscany on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Skiingstrongman wrote:Liquid if you like seavee check out nortech. It's a thing of beauty.
Notech is in a different league then that other center console. Or a cigarette?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

If in salt with a sterndrive, definitely OceanX outdrive or similar, and no raw water cooling! Replacing the heat exchanger in a closed-loop cooling system is a pain, but not as much as a new engine.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Nor - tech are sick! check out his bad boy:

http://nor-techboats.com/models/392-super-fish/

Maaaaaybe a touch overkill for my fishing needs though.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Go for it liquid. Give your kids something to grow into.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

jhnmdahl wrote:If in salt with a sterndrive, definitely OceanX outdrive or similar, and no raw water cooling! Replacing the heat exchanger in a closed-loop cooling system is a pain, but not as much as a new engine.
Like I said, having a lot of time to weigh options is a great thing.
The downside is that having a lot of time to weigh options greatly complicates the decision. But my personality is to break everything down and research until my head hurts. It's hurting right now. :D
My particular issue is that I never thought I would be buying a new boat, so new technology and options are all new to me. I haven't boat shopped in 15 years, so there is a lot of catch up to do.
I made the mistake of checking out an R5, and then really messed up by showing it to my wife. She is the boat lover in my family.

If I were to build my dream, it would be an R7 with a 350 or bigger Merc outboard.
I'm pretty convinced an outboard is the way to go in all cases today, and especially true if there is a possibility of mixed fresh salt use.
So, it's either a 25SC, or an R7 as it sits going into the boat show in Toronto.

Question, is there a way to properly flush the heat exchanger on a cobalt equipped with a 380 VP?
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yep, hook a hose up to the hose fitting and let the engine idle once the hose is running, and the fresh water from the hose will flush out the salt water when moored. Of course you're still sitting in salt water, but that's hard to avoid...
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Get an R7 with a merc 380 big block with the sea core and close water cooled. Can't go wrong there.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

No big block for me.
IMO, I think a BB will adversely affect resale in 5 years.
I could be wrong, but I doubt you will see a big block available in the near future when the same power rating, yet more efficient fuel consumption can be had, along with 270lbs of weight savings by going with the 380VP. And the VP comes with closed cooling.
Merc has to be working on something different to update that power segment. And I wouldn't be shocked if it's concentrating on outboards.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Considering decades-old technologies like variable valve timing have just started becoming common in sterndrives the last couple years, I think there's probably still some room for gains in both inboard and outboard efficiency. I did a similar analysis and went with a Volvo short block a few years ago (albeit in a 210), and am generally pleased that I did.