Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Post by Big Block Power »

I love your boat bclark. I love red. That being said on the 220 the mid cleat is easy to reach from the captains chair. I have one bumper always set for that cleat and I just grab the bumper and put it on. That being said the fender clips are awesome. If I bought new I would get them being used I just can't get myself to add them. We go to so many different docks on our lakes so I'm always adjusting them anyways.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Hope2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Hope2 »

I've had many boats but never a brand new one. Never could pull that big trigger. Will tell you never enough motor (for me)

Option at least in my eyes is a year or two old cream puff with a bigger motor. I see some advertised with very low hours. Some folks are just anal with their boats, find one of those. Just my2c.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

With all due respect.
If you do your due diligence on the dealer cost of a new boat, you will understand where I'm coming from. If not, the one or two year old cream puff will cost you more than a brand new boat.
Most new boats sport a 35% to 40% mark up. Do the math. Dealers are charging more for one or two year old puffs than what they can order a new one for. More power to them I guess..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Well, I ended up purchasing a CS1 yesterday. I know it's a bit shorter than the 220, but I felt like most of that was in the bow. I can just about stretch out in the CS1, where I could fully extend my legs in the bow of the 220. Beyond that though, the cockpit just felt more spacious. I also like the design of the cockpit just a bit more; I think it has a more classic feel, maybe not as sporty as the 220. And, its a few grand cheaper right off the bat.

Options I went with are Tahoe Gray interior, black hull, no color on swim platform, the V8 300 duo prop, EVC, rudder indicator, transom tilt, dock lights, mooring cover, bow tonneau cover, bow filler cushion, recessed logo (because it is a $0 option on CS1 and looked slick on the stock model), and the sea grass flooring. I didn't do the bimini cover, but still have time if I change my mind. Sounds like it is quite a bit cheaper to add it as an option than to have it done later, but I'm not sure how much of that is salesman talk. I skipped the second battery/switch and charger, as I'll do that on my own. They wouldn't back down on the prep fee, but gave me a thousand bucks in credit. I'll probably spend that on fender pins, and some skiing/tubing stuff.

They actually put an order in for a CS1 a while back, and I bought within the window where they can still choose the options, so I should have the boat early May. Pretty excited about that, as we were initially talking late June with a 220.

Thanks for the help everyone. Your advice obviously swayed some (most) of my decisions :lol:
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very sweet. I would have the factory add the binimi. Mine sits in the garage most of the time. But it's nice to have when it's hot out. I rather have the factory add it so all the extra support is there where you need it. Plus it's all stainless steel.Not a cheap one you buy from a catalog. It will help resale if and when you sell it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

notstock4long wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:12 am Well, I ended up purchasing a CS1 yesterday. I know it's a bit shorter than the 220, but I felt like most of that was in the bow. I can just about stretch out in the CS1, where I could fully extend my legs in the bow of the 220. Beyond that though, the cockpit just felt more spacious. I also like the design of the cockpit just a bit more; I think it has a more classic feel, maybe not as sporty as the 220. And, its a few grand cheaper right off the bat.

Options I went with are Tahoe Gray interior, black hull, no color on swim platform, the V8 300 duo prop, EVC, rudder indicator, transom tilt, dock lights, mooring cover, bow tonneau cover, bow filler cushion, recessed logo (because it is a $0 option on CS1 and looked slick on the stock model), and the sea grass flooring. I didn't do the bimini cover, but still have time if I change my mind. Sounds like it is quite a bit cheaper to add it as an option than to have it done later, but I'm not sure how much of that is salesman talk. I skipped the second battery/switch and charger, as I'll do that on my own. They wouldn't back down on the prep fee, but gave me a thousand bucks in credit. I'll probably spend that on fender pins, and some skiing/tubing stuff.

They actually put an order in for a CS1 a while back, and I bought within the window where they can still choose the options, so I should have the boat early May. Pretty excited about that, as we were initially talking late June with a 220.

Thanks for the help everyone. Your advice obviously swayed some (most) of my decisions :lol:
For the 14 years I owned my Chaparral 233, I never once opened the Bimini. When we traded it in, I didn't know if the canvas looked brand new, or chewed up by mice.
The biggest reason I never opened it was because we enjoy the sun.
Having said that, I wouldn't order a boat without one. Resale for one, but there will be that one day that I'm going to want to use it. The Cobalt system is much more rigid and easier to open, so I would suggest adding it to your build.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Couple things.

Centex - Nice boat and I love the color combo, similar to mine. My next Cobalt will be the same or all white.

BClark - Nice boat & congrats.

NotStock - Congratulations on the CS1. I see that model picking up some following - I think it's a modern reboot of my boat (190 which they stopped making in 2002) with a swim platform.

I agree with BB - get the Bimini. It's a no-brainer IMO - better to have and not need than to need and not have.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

We use ours like 1or 2 times a year. But when we took a vacation to Table rock it was hot and needed it down there. Not sure where you boat or plan to but just get it. That's not something you want to add. Like Tuscany said the factory one is so much more robust.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

I ended up adding the bimini.

Just talked to the dealer today. The boat leaves Kansas on the 17th, arrives here the 19th, and I'll take delivery on the 26th. Can't wait! Just secured a slip, and I'm going to check out a used lift this weekend, so I should be set when she arrives.

I also found out today that they'll be bringing the boat to me (and straight to the lake) to run through everything with me. Much better than me having to drive an hour plus to pick it up.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's very cool. What lake are they bringing it too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Muskegon Lake. It's a decent size lake, connected to Lake Michigan. However, we usually head in to the next lake inward, Bear Lake, which is a bit smaller, for tubing/skiing, or out to the big lake for the beach. Muskegon Lake is usually just the gateway to the other lakes for us.
2018 Cobalt CS22
JBB1306
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JBB1306 »

Hey Notstock...

How are you liking your CS1? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a CS3 and going to test drive tomorrow? I'd ideally want an R3, but the CS3 pricing is just so much better. Sounds like you have access to Lake Michigan... how does it handle in rough waters? Thanks!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

JBB1306 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm Hey Notstock...

How are you liking your CS1? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a CS3 and going to test drive tomorrow? I'd ideally want an R3, but the CS3 pricing is just so much better. Sounds like you have access to Lake Michigan... how does it handle in rough waters? Thanks!
I like it a lot. I actually ended up with a CS22, which is just the 2018 version of the CS1, after my CS1 caught on fire, but they are essentially the same. I would love the extra length of a CS3/CS23, but personally had a hard time justifying a 10k price jump for 14", although now I sort of wish I would have just went for it.

It handles waves in the big lake great. Much better than the MasterCraft and Four Winns I had as loaners between the CS1 and CS22. We would even occasionally go out to Lake Michigan in decent chop to give our son and his friends a beating on the tube. Wouldn't have felt confident doing that in the other boats.
2018 Cobalt CS22