Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Post by notstock4long »

Hi everyone,

I have decided to purchase a new boat this season, after years of attempting to keep older boats on the water. My current boat is a 1990 Chris Craft 218 Cuddy, which I can't wait to get rid of after all of the trouble I had with it last summer. Anyway, I'm primarily looking at the 2017 220S. The CS1 is a bit smaller, especially when you consider how much of the length is consumed by the huge swim platform, and the CS3 is marginally larger, but not enough to justify the ~$7k jump in price.

I didn't post this in the Gateway series forum as I'm looking for some advice about the more general features of the boat. I'm really intrigued by the EVC (electronic vessel control) option with the Volvo Penta (The MI dealer is Volvo, so no Merc option). Does anyone with a smaller/single engine boat have an EVC setup? The initial EVC package gives you electronic throttle and shifting, a 4" screen to display engine functions, many of which are already displayed on the stock gauges, and the auto trim function. The Cobalt site doesn't discuss the EVC stuff at all, so everything I know came from speaking directly to a Cobalt rep in Kansas, as the dealership didn't have any info either. I guess I'm just looking for your thoughts on the whole thing....is it worth it...reliable...cool? I'm an electrical engineer, so things like this excite me, and I really like the idea of software and hardware component upgrades in the future, although individual features like Tow Mode are insanely expensive right now.

I'm planning to go with the V6 280hp dual prop. To bump up to the V8 with 300hp is about $3k, which I'm not sure is worth it for a gain of 20hp, especially considering the increase in fuel consumption. Am I making the right decision? Any major reasons to go with the V8 over V6?

All of the boats in the Gateway series seem to be very competitively priced. I have looked at similar size boats with other manufacturers, and after the options are added to get them a similar level of a stock Cobalt, the prices aren't too far apart; some even quite a bit more expensive.

Anything else I should think about before purchasing?
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Post by Big Block Power »

I'll post more later but I wouldn't think of a v6 in a 22ft boat. My 350 mag in my 200 I want thrilled with. But it worked ok. I think that motor was just a bit under powered for some reason. It was a great engine in my crownline. But I've had a 350 in the 220 and Volvo does a better job with props in my opinion. Go with the v8. I never heard a boater say I wish I had a smaller engine. Resale will be terrible. I would get the EVC that's the way of the future. I heard it works great. How do you plan on using the boat? I.myself really like the R3
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I think it depends a lot on how you'll use the boat. The lake I was on most of the time last summer has a 40mph speed limit (although often not followed) and I'm rarely tempted to push the throttle all the way forward, and I'm pretty happy with the Volvo V8-225 in my 210. Most fuel efficient cruise is right around 3000rpm, and I don't often exceed that.

That said, I knew it has the same torque curve as the V8-300 when I bought it, and that it can be converted to one by simply swapping in an ECU from a V8-300 if I were to decide I wanted my top speed to be 58 instead of 48.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 pm I'll post more later but I wouldn't think of a v6 in a 22ft boat. My 350 mag in my 200 I want thrilled with. But it worked ok. I think that motor was just a bit under powered for some reason. It was a great engine in my crownline. But I've had a 350 in the 220 and Volvo does a better job with props in my opinion. Go with the v8. I never heard a boater say I wish I had a smaller engine. Resale will be terrible. I would get the EVC that's the way of the future. I heard it works great. How do you plan on using the boat? I.myself really like the R3

I was really hoping I wouldn't hear this, but I figured I would. I guess I just didn't want to admit it because of the cost.

We have three kids, so the boat will spend most of the time pulling tubes, or anchored off shore while they play on the beach. But, that doesn't mean I don't want to go as fast as possible the rest of the time! But, I still go back to thinking that $3700 is a lot of cash for 20HP.

I too like the R3, but any Cobalt not in the Gateway line is far beyond my price range.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I also think you may regret the smaller engine.
Once you buy the boat, and then not happy with the power, you will be kicking yourself for not spending a few extra bucks for getting what you need to power a boat load of people.

I'm probably the last person you want advice from. I think when you are spending money on something that we will own for years to come, why cut the budget on an option that may be considered a trivial expense by next year.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Where and what lakes will you be boating on. Really pulling tubes and loaded down easy question for me to answer. Again I might be the wrong person to ask also I sold my 220 8.1gi 375hp last summer for the same boat but with the 8.1gxi 420hp
Really if your borrowing money it's not that much more each month. If your paying cash then why are you asking.It's a no brainer. You won't regret power you will regret lack of power. What else are you thinking of for options. I like docking lights even though I'll never use them.lol
You getting a tower? Bow filler cushions? Upgraded stereo?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I should chime in that I did spend extra for the duo prop with the V8-225, which has all the torque of the V8-300 for pulling tubes and skis and whatnot. We may not be the fastest top speed boat on the lake, but not many get on plane faster or pull better. No directly comparable option exists today, but we're happy with what we got given the options at the time.

Another factor we face is that we often drive 10-15 miles visiting different parts of the lake when we go out, and we're rarely in any hurry, so cruising at 3000-3500rpm is the norm. However, I still keep joking about getting bigblock to hunt me down a V8-300 ecu to keep on the side if the price is right.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Um I take that as a hint John :-) do you know the part number.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:43 pm Where and what lakes will you be boating on. Really pulling tubes and loaded down easy question for me to answer. Again I might be the wrong person to ask also I sold my 220 8.1gi 375hp last summer for the same boat but with the 8.1gxi 420hp
Really if your borrowing money it's not that much more each month. If your paying cash then why are you asking.It's a no brainer. You won't regret power you will regret lack of power. What else are you thinking of for options. I like docking lights even though I'll never use them.lol
You getting a tower? Bow filler cushions? Upgraded stereo?

We will spend most of our time on a couple of smaller inland lakes connected to Lake Michigan, and Lake Michigan for the beach.

I'm not planning on a tower for now...hard to justify $7k or so for that, especially when pulling the kids around on the regular tow eye works just fine. I don't see myself getting in to wakeboarding any time soon, or ever. The real arches look cool though, and I like the idea of a bimini top, but I really don't like they way those look. I think it sort of kills the nice lines of the boat. I'll probably get the mercathode anti-corrosion system option. Would be less than half price to do it myself, but that's one I would rather not mess with, because the idea of possibly needing to drill through the hull/transom of a brand new boat sounds a bit scary. I'll do the transom tilt switch for the same reason, and the rudder indicator because it isn't any cheaper to do it myself, and from the factory it will be integrated in an existing gauge. I thought about dock lights, but I can't remember ever thinking I wish I had them on any other boats. I'll do the matching aft walkthrough carpet. Planning to get a SeaDek swim platform mat for $255 over the $1200 factory option. I'm just going to do the single battery from the factory, and immediately do my own switch/ACR with second battery, as it's $200 worth of parts and a fun little project, over a $420 option. Same with an integrated charger/maintainer...$200 or so for a smart dual charger, compared to a $500 option. I'm going to leave the factory stereo system as is, and upgrade things myself later if I feel the need to. The bow filler cushion would probably be nice at times, but I'm thinking our twin girls will want to have their own separate areas in the bow. Other than that, the three major options I plan to do are the engine, EVC, and hull bottom color. I think you guys have me sold on going with the V8 over V6.

I won't be telling my wife about the major upgrades, as I have heard her mention to her friends that the new boat "will cost about 30k, but will be worth it because it won't break every time we take it out"...lol, at least half of that is true. But selling my car is part of the deal...an '05 CTS-V with low miles if anyone is interested :lol:
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would get the bow filler cushions right away. We love ours. The girls will too. If they don't then you leave it out. It adds so much more room up there.get a transom speaker control also. Binimi not a big fan myself but hot sunny days it's nice to have. Resale Shaun nice to have. 90% of the time mine is having in the garage. So I take it you live in Michigan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Wow, that really does make the bow a lot bigger. I think I'll add that to the list.

We are in Muskegon, MI, on the west side of the state, near Grand Rapids, but right at the big lake. We live on a little strip of the city between Muskegon and Bear lake, so it's a pretty nice place for boating.
2018 Cobalt CS22
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 pm Um I take that as a hint John :-) do you know the part number.lol
That's fantastic. :lol:

My opinions: Definitely V8. Definitely Bow Filler. Definitely Duo Prop.

If you're adding the second battery yourself, great. I had mine done last year and i personally won't own a boat without a second ever again... Stranded in the ocean is not fun, and sea tow ain't cheap.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

liquid wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 am
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 pm Um I take that as a hint John :-) do you know the part number.lol
That's fantastic. :lol:

My opinions: Definitely V8. Definitely Bow Filler. Definitely Duo Prop.

If you're adding the second battery yourself, great. I had mine done last year and i personally won't own a boat without a second ever again... Stranded in the ocean is not fun, and sea tow ain't cheap.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I am extremely overly cautious when it comes to being stranded. I was thinking about a triple battery setup, but it gets a bit more involved beyond two batteries.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know that second battery can be added but I don't like messing around too much with electronics when I don't have too and more than capable to do it. I would have the factory do it.get the warranty and not worry about it. It's cleaner and looks nicer. Get what you can so you don't have to mess around with your new boat and enjoy it. My 2 cents. I just think the bow looks plain without the bow lights. Dual prop is the only way to go.
I still want to go boating on Higgins.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Don't let the factory MSRP be your comparison to whether you will save money by adding it yourself. If you are a decent negotiator, There isn't a great deal of price difference between factory installed and self installed without warranty coverage.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine