Journal

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Journal

Post by Ytmsn »

When I first bought my boat a friend suggested I keep a log of every single thing. Since I knew going in it would be a project I thought it was an excellent idea and started from the beginning immediately.

I got a portfolio type notebook that can be zipped up. It has a 3 ring binder in it for the owners manual and pockets for receipts. And I have logged everything, from the date I bought it, from who and how far I drove to where it was. Then every date and receipt of everything that's been done since. Oil changes, repairs, any issues are written down, all component manuals are included, registration, etc.

Since there is a thread on the restoration I've even printed that off and added to the book, and it's kept on the boat.

Anyone else do anything like this? As a Cobalt owner, I have to think it will add value when I sell. I'm curious to see if any of you do the same thing, or what ya'll might be doing different?
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Journal

Post by Bfun220 »

I have this binder.
I do not keep receipts. But I have every manual for anything to do with the boat. I also keep track of part numbers of any parts replaced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Nice idea I think for what you all did to your boat. If I bought a new boat I would. But I haven't kept a boat more than a season so I don't. I do sometimes write down the maint I do though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I have a Cobalt bag which has all the manuals including the trailer and service history.

I like the idea of a Ship Log though - who, where and hours... may start that.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Very good idea especially as you noted it was a big restore. I am sure it will be valuable if/when you resell. Is a good idea in general instead of throwing all in the glove compartment!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Not for me.
When I'm on my boat, its unplug and decompress time.
No books, no logs, no nuthin but relaxing. All we want to do is enjoy the day, and nothing more.
It's my dealer job to keep service records.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Ytmsn, I do sort of a journal but not that much detail. When I got my first boat in 1977(Seastar tri hull), I wrote down every time I Went out, what lake or river, who went with us, hours on boat, any problems, etc. Also included camper info in 1982. I'm on my 4th boat & 5th camper so it's interesting to look back over the years. Activities have changed greatly from "slalom skied all day" to "sat in cove, had a few beers, went to bed early". I think what you're doing is a great idea. Then, if you throw it away in 20 years, no harm done.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)