Sunscreens

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Sunscreens

Post by Ytmsn »

Here is an interesting article on sunscreen stains. Last week when I had a lot of folks onboard I got a football sized orange stain on a seat back after a kid lathered his self down with the spray-on stuff then climbed in with his tee-shirt on. It didn't help that the shirt was reddish-orange... I got it all out, and then tried to figure out why it happened in the first place.

It turns out there is a particular ingredient in most sunscreens that'll turn you orange. Before I banned it completely off my boat I ended up with some orange stains on the gelcoat in a couple of places too. Still haven't gotten that off..
Sunscreen is some nasty stuff..

http://www.mamaslaundrytalk.com/prevent ... n-clothes/
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sunscreens

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool thanks YT. Thank god I have not had that issue on my boat. I have used lysol gel toilet bowl cleaner on my hull plenty of times. Sometimes works better than hull cleaner. And if you have a merc drive and no drive shower it will clean the drive back up to black.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Full disclosure: I do this for a living. I'm a chemist for a personal care company.

Avobenzone is prevalent in most sunscreens. You'll be hard pressed to find half a dozen that do not incorporate avobenzone and are broad spectrum and water resistant and are bearable to apply. There are some crappy thick gooey pasty ones.

If you feel you need to ban it you'll be more or less restricted to mineral sunscreens Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide based products that aren't the most pleasant.

What I do to prevent it is monthly applications of 303 aerospace protectant. Clean it up with 303 multi surface cleaner first. Then ban the sprays completely even before boarding. The sprays are more likely to come off due to the propellant/vehicle system used. I also ask that people put sunscreen on before they come aboard. That way the sunscreen has had time to absorb. We have a 35 minute ride to the lake and I put it on before I leave. Usually people forget to reapply anyways and if they do they use significantly less.

If you have a small family and a close circle of people you can always buy a few in bulk in the early part of the year and supply it to avoid issues but it's going to be difficult to police by inspecting every single sunscreen that comes aboard.
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Now I know where to go with all my sunscreen questions. :D
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Skiingstrongman wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm Full disclosure: I do this for a living. I'm a chemist for a personal care company.

Avobenzone is prevalent in most sunscreens. You'll be hard pressed to find half a dozen that do not incorporate avobenzone and are broad spectrum and water resistant and are bearable to apply. There are some crappy thick gooey pasty ones.

If you feel you need to ban it you'll be more or less restricted to mineral sunscreens Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide based products that aren't the most pleasant.

What I do to prevent it is monthly applications of 303 aerospace protectant. Clean it up with 303 multi surface cleaner first. Then ban the sprays completely even before boarding. The sprays are more likely to come off due to the propellant/vehicle system used. I also ask that people put sunscreen on before they come aboard. That way the sunscreen has had time to absorb. We have a 35 minute ride to the lake and I put it on before I leave. Usually people forget to reapply anyways and if they do they use significantly less.

If you have a small family and a close circle of people you can always buy a few in bulk in the early part of the year and supply it to avoid issues but it's going to be difficult to police by inspecting every single sunscreen that comes aboard.
I forgot this is your hood. Thanks for passing that on. We don't have spray on lotion on board so really not a big deal. One of the wife's daughter had a friend come along and she had some which got banned right away. We have never had a issue yet with the lotion screen.
And yes he's sent me pictures of his blender that he makes this magic lotion up in.lol
I wasn't sure what it was used for and I didn't ask.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

BB, I for one think you should never use the words magic lotion. 😁
2018 r5
2003 220
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

If you guys are ever abroad buy up a stock of that sunscreen either Europe or Asia. In the US sunscreen has a very unique regulation compared to everyone else so we are extremely limited in what sunscreens we're allowed to use. They fall under the same restrictions as cold medicine and pain reliever drugs. In those countries it's just a cosmetic so they have a much wider variety. Their sunscreens are so light and have excellent sensory and don't use most of our UV absorbers.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Thanks Strongman that is good to know. I'm glad we have a chemist on board!

And B I agree with you. BB has been having so much trouble with his johnson lately that "magic lotion" has been on his mind a lot...
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's cold blooded just line the outboard :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
stephenspann27
Ensign
Ensign

Post by stephenspann27 »

Ive banned the sprays on my boat because I've seen people apply it in the wind it and it mostly end up on my windshield, my upholstery or on the deck. When it gets on the deck it's very slick. My wife and I have started wearing "buffs" on the boat.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

0 spray on the boat ever. Nice to know the issue YT - we used to have a sunscreen thread... or maybe it was just me bitching about sunscreen, don't recall.

Nice to have a chemist Strong. Brings me to the 303 - the chemist that created the 303 is now a part owner of Boat Bling. The Vinyl Sauce is basically "new and Improved" multi surface cleaner and the Condition Sauce is The real protector/303 comparison. I've tried both and I like the Bling products better. JMO. And the Condition sauce smells good too.

I use The Works toilet cleaner for the hull. Judge me if you will.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Does anyone use the 303 Aerospace Marine and Recreation Protectorate?

Or just the 303 Marine and Recreation Multi-Surface cleaner?
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

liquid wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:31 pm 0 spray on the boat ever. Nice to know the issue YT - we used to have a sunscreen thread... or maybe it was just me bitching about sunscreen, don't recall.

Nice to have a chemist Strong. Brings me to the 303 - the chemist that created the 303 is now a part owner of Boat Bling. The Vinyl Sauce is basically "new and Improved" multi surface cleaner and the Condition Sauce is The real protector/303 comparison. I've tried both and I like the Bling products better. JMO. And the Condition sauce smells good too.

I use The Works toilet cleaner for the hull. Judge me if you will.
I bought the Hot Sauce after reading about it on this forum. Really does a great job here on Lake Travis where the water has a lot of lime in it from the rock formations. Now a few of the other boaters at the marina have noticed my boat and asked what I was using. They've now switched to Hot Sauce. I was out on the lake at Devil's Cove and a guy pulled up and asked me what I used. He said he was getting hard water spots on his boat and couldn't find anything that worked. "Hot Sauce" I said, "I gotta get me some of that" he said.

Thanks guys, it makes getting the water spots off quickly and adds a little shine to boot.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Driller wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 pm Does anyone use the 303 Aerospace Marine and Recreation Protectorate?

Or just the 303 Marine and Recreation Multi-Surface cleaner?
Absolutely. That's what I recommend. It should help to keep the stains from setting to an extent.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I bought the Hot Sauce after reading about it on this forum. Really does a great job here on Lake Travis where the water has a lot of lime in it from the rock formations. Now a few of the other boaters at the marina have noticed my boat and asked what I was using. They've now switched to Hot Sauce. I was out on the lake at Devil's Cove and a guy pulled up and asked me what I used. He said he was getting hard water spots on his boat and couldn't find anything that worked. "Hot Sauce" I said, "I gotta get me some of that" he said.

Thanks guys, it makes getting the water spots off quickly and adds a little shine to boot.
[/quote]

Awesome. Those guys should give me a discount over at Boat Bling :lol:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL