2006 Cobalt 220S - Stuck Fuel Cap

Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

2006 Cobalt 220S - Stuck Fuel Cap

Post by Cobaltordie »

I recently bought a nice low hour (139) 2006 220S. I only have one irritating problem - the damn fuel cap is a fidgety thing. I put the two pin key in, turn it counter clockwise until it releases tension and "should" pop up to unscrew it to remove it, but.... it won't release. It rattles a little, I can get it to turn a tiny bit left or right but it just won't pop up. Aggravating. I was headed to the lake this morning but when I got to the gas station to fill up the tow rig and boat, I couldn't get the fuel cap off. I spent 30 mins futzing with it before giving up. Two guys came over who said they have boats with similar fill caps. They couldn't get it to release either. Ugh.

I thought about just removing the whole thing thinking it might be easier to figure out what is wrong with it. I got on the boat and looked up through the access opening just behind the skipper's seat and learned the three stainless steel Philips screws on the outside are in fact bolts which have nylock nuts on the back. There are two hose clamps that are at near impossible angles to access. Oh, and I found a green wire with loop connector on it just dangling near the filler neck. It looks like a ground of some sort. Should this be on one of the bolts which hold the filler neck to the hull?

So my big question is this, will it make it easier to figure out why the filler cap wont pop up and come off if I remove the whole assembly from the boat? Or should I just order up a replacement assembly? If this is a common thing, is there a simple trick to get it to consistently open?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
My name is Dan
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.... but at least I'm a tool
2006 Cobalt 220S Vulva Pentup 8.1Gi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2006 Cobalt 220S - Stuck Fuel Cap

Post by Big Block Power »

I fill (feel) for you. sorry long day at work. That bad boy is a bitch. That's putting it lightly. You will need two people to put a new filler in. So if you can replace just the cap just do that. The cap as you know it's a push down and rotate to the left then unscrew it. If you can't get it off yes you will have to buy a new one. The three screws are not easy to reach long skinny arms are needed with anti fiberglass material wrapping your body from the itching that is about to occur. Yes the green wire should be attached to one of the bolts. It is a ground I case a spark happens when the gas filler goes in it. I used wing nuts and locktight when reinstalling mine. You can get the filler hose off that's not too bad. It might be double hose clamped just a fyi. I went up through the speaker hole. If you could get that side panel off it would be much easier but that's alot of work. Sorry but good luck. Where do you boat.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 pm I fill (feel) for you. sorry long day at work. That bad boy is a bitch. That's putting it lightly. You will need two people to put a new filler in. So if you can replace just the cap just do that. The cap as you know it's a push down and rotate to the left then unscrew it. If you can't get it off yes you will have to buy a new one. The three screws are not easy to reach long skinny arms are needed with anti fiberglass material wrapping your body from the itching that is about to occur. Yes the green wire should be attached to one of the bolts. It is a ground I case a spark happens when the gas filler goes in it. I used wing nuts and locktight when reinstalling mine. You can get the filler hose off that's not too bad. It might be double hose clamped just a fyi. I went up through the speaker hole. If you could get that side panel off it would be much easier but that's alot of work. Sorry but good luck. Where do you boat.
Thanks so much for the info BBP. Not what I wanted to hear but the truth allows one to make good decisions. My boat has an open rectangular access opening in the underside of the side padding - sort of below the throttle area and where two SS cup holders are located. I can get one hand up in to the filler neck which would be tough in the event I dropped a nut, etc. The speaker location is out of reach on my boat, significantly farther towards the bow.

I spent another hour this afternoon fidgeting with cap to no avail. So looks like I need to order up a new one and then attempt to replace it. If I can't get traction on the backside nylock nuts and hose clamps, I'll have to pay the local Cobalt dealer to do so :( I really do enjoy
fixing things myself when I can but there are times when it makes sense to pay someone to do it.

Where can I find factory Cobalt parts? Seems impossible to get anything for your boat from the factory if it is more than 7 years old. A strange business model.

I live in the greater Phoenix, AZ area. Lots of boats and lakes in the area due to dams built in the 1930's.
My name is Dan
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dan. My brother lives by you and have another forum member from another forum that boats by you. Can you take a picture of the inside of your boat and where the gas cap is. The good thing is most of the part manufactures are still making the parts Cobalt uses to install on there boats. You can get the factory fill and cap on ebay and the web. As a last resort you could drill it and be careful don't go all the way through it and then punch your way at the very end. I can get you a picture of my filler cap if you need its twenty get away. That's why I used wingnuts so it was easier to hold on. Our hardware store had stainless ones too. Yes you can only get one arm up there. My wife just turned the screw from the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Thanks for the info on your brother and other forum member. I saw another 200? 220 on Lake Saguaro a couple of weeks ago. The only other Cobalt, like mine I have seen. Plenty of new Cobalt wake and wake surf boats on the water though.

Here are some pics of the location of the fuel filler cap. Also a pic of the port side interior, I don't have a starboard side, but it is the same. As you can see our interiors behind the just aft of the skippers and first mate seats is different. I have a sort of cubby hole on both sides that are recessed and have two SS cup holders. On the starboard side as you lay on your back and look up, there is a 6x4" opening that grants access to the fuel filler neck.

Where does your brother live? It is hot here now, but at least he doesn't have to shovel heat ;)

Hmmm, can't seem to upload pics. Is there a size limit?
My name is Dan
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

He lives in Apache Junction. But building a house in Chandler. I know one guy goes to lake pleasant. Has a Crownline.
Yes there is a size limit. I had to resize every picture to get it to post then I found a new way to get pictures off my phone after 2 years and it works pretty good.
I always make a post first then I go to make a correction to it by pushing the pencil Looking icon on the top of the post and then click attachment button then click add and attach the pictures I resized a hair.It doesn't take much. It's kind of a pain. But now on my android I don't have to re size all the time. Not sure what your using to post with? That's nice if you have s hole to get through. You can see where my speaker is and I had to reach all the way up the side of the boat to reach it. Not fun.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Ok, thanks for the tip. I had already resized them significantly from near 3mb each down to 5kb. This time I just resized them by pixel. Close to 800x600, so let's see what happens.

Your brother is only 20 mins from two great lakes, Saguaro and Canyon. Both are beautiful with soar cliffs/canyons, and lot's of wildlife - bald eagles, big horn sheep, deer, and a few unclothed humans. Sounds like he will be a neighbor of mine here in Chandler. Does he have a Cobalt?

Ugh. Still not uploading the pics. Here is the error message I am getting. As you can see, the file sizes are well under the limits. I was able to read this after clicking on the yellow warning triangle with exclamation point on far right of the Attachments Add Files panel. I'll just screen snag the images in the same way I captured this one. A pain, but it should work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Dan
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Let's see if this works....
My name is Dan
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes that's the same as the 2004 220's. No my brother doesn't have a boat out there. But a pontoon here at his cottage in Wisconsin.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mdeloia
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mdeloia »

I have a 2004 240 and need a replacement cap. It the same pop-up type with the two key holes on the top. Any pointers on where to find the replacement part? Local Cobalt dealer is zero help. :(
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

It looks like Southco has discontinued making deck fills including their pop-up gas fill. I found this replacement cap, but you should verify that they actually have any in stock.

https://www.uglyfishinc.com/M7-27-88072 ... 720x-x.htm

72E91E69-011D-4077-8454-6A6A47E58812.png
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA