240 BR Rebuild

(190 through 360)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 240 BR Rebuild

Post by Big Block Power »

I haven't had any issues. I know a few that have. The good thing is they are cheap.NOT!
If it was me I would just replace it. Towing a boat back is no fun. Plus you don't want to ruin your new engine lean. Bad things can happen. Glad your making head way on her. I have the interior of my winter project in the basement all cleaned up. Now I just have to do the sides of the interior and wet sand and buff and then she is for sale. Keep the pictures and stories coming.It's a long winter.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I'd be really tempted to replace the fuel pump with all the other work you've done to that. The last thing you want is a blob of black paint sludge scoring your cylinder walls or clogging the fuel delivery system when you're out and about. I haven't had one apart, so I don't know to what extent any interior paint or other sludge could be cleaned, but no way I would overlook that.

Edit - here's one guy who tore one apart... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r ... cell-5-0gi and another thread on a guy who cleaned and reassembled his http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how ... viced.html

Should be equally applicable to cobalt boats...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

So I ended up not replacing the fuel pump after much study and research. My mechanic completely disassembled and cleaned it. Worse case scenario is I have to replace it sometime next summer. The motor runs really good!

After the engine was reinstalled I took it to have a custom cover built. Since I'm going to put a thin red boot stripe on the side later I thought a thin red strip down the center of the cover would be good. NOT

When I went to pick it up they had had put a HUGE stripe down the center, and they didn't make the cover long enough to cover the extended swim deck. The freakin thing looks like a ride from the carnival....
20161222_131823.jpg

The girl at the counter messed up when she took my order, so it stays there for another week to be replaced, hopefully correctly. They wanted to scab a piece on the back but I quickly nixed that idea. I could have scabed a piece onto my old cover if that's what I wanted. I'm going with a solid blue this time with no stripe. So it's kinda worked out better.

So now I have a new motor with a 3 year warranty, and it's been reinstalled. They ran it with zinc for 30 minutes to break in the cam, then winterized it. The dash panels have been replaced and all the electrical has been checked. Everything works as it should. The interior was removed, recovered and now sets in my garage to be reinstalled when I get'er home again.

After the cover it goes to the fiberglass shop for wet-sanding and buffing. They're going to remove the cleats and hardware, and they said they'd remove the logo and letters for polishing too. Not sure about that...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sounds fun. I have a cover that goes over the platform and one that didn't. I prefer it not to cover the platform. When it sits in the water the water is always going on the cover or under it. I rather have it not cover it so you can walk on the platform. The emblems are $9 each and the wreath is $25 & the C is $25 so if they are not broke leave them alone that's my 2 cents. I like the color though. What material did they use. I like sunbrella over the sharkskin. I am having them make me a bow and separate cockpit cover. I'll just use the mooring cover fit the winter storage.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

My boat sits on a lift in the summer in a covered dock, and without the deck covered it gets pretty nasty. The spiders make a mess, not to mention the birds and other lake critters that find an uncovered swim deck a handy place to perch, eat, fight, breed and poop. Over a weekend it's not bad, but it gets quiet during the week.

This place is actually pretty good. The quality and price make it the "go to" for covers and biminis. My new bimini and cover are made with sunbrella. The bimini zips on with a 3 year warranty. If it ever tears or fades it is very easy to replace. I'll be into both for just over $1,000.

Edwardscanvas.com

Not sure if they have to have the boat though. I think they do for covers but I'm not sure about biminis. The may have templates.

The fiberglass guy says he can polish up my logos and badges, but I may just order all new.

Supposed to pick up my boat tomorrow, so I'll post a pic of the new cover.
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well if your going to buy new emblems I'll buy your old ones if you do. I need a few.lol
My bow and cockpit cover are about $1100
I would agree if it's on a lift then that would be the way to go. Cover her up. With the cinch system on the factory cover it's a pain. Plus it still didn't hold tight and water would pool. My boat didn't sit outside too often.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

HAHAHA. I looked at the picture before I read your post and literally said to myself "Yikes!"

I love when we get these ideas and then someone has there own vision surprisingly not identical to the one in my head.

Glad you got it straightened out. You've done a ton of work, the progress has been pretty incredible. Looking forward to Spring and you getting to take her out for a dance.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

It's been awhile since my last post. I finally got my boat back today from the fiberglass shop. The guy kept telling me it would "next week"..

Look close and you'll see the red accent stripe on the bottom of the bevel.

Now it's getting all this crap installed!
20170223_140529-1.jpg
Stereo, speakers, subwoofer and amps. And Lumitech Seablaze X LED's on the stern. Then I'll bringit home to finish it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Looks like they did a very nice job on cleaning her up. Have fun with the next step.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ppkaprince98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ppkaprince98 »

Looks nice, glad to brought it back to life!!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I finally got her back home.
20170307_082758.jpg
The stereo is installed and sounds awesome. Of course anything with a power source stronger than a 9 volt battery would sound pretty good to me...
The stripe turned out good too. I wish it was a tab brighter but it'll work
20170307_083338.jpg

The LED lights in all the cubbys look really cool at night. Now I just have to reinstall the interior and fine tune a few things and she'll be ready!
20170306_211611.jpg
The LED'S on the stern are my favorite. They put out 4000 lumens of white, blue or combo.
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very cool. Looks awesome :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Looks great. You've done a ton, this boat better love you.

Have you got a name? Should definitely have a christening ceremony after all you've done.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I know, right? That's why I'm going to keep ole Red for awhile, just to make sure this one is going to work out.

Her new name is Blew aweigH in Cobalt Lintype #7.
"Black Boats Matter"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I finally got a weekend to do some work. The interior is installed and loOKs great. Then the sides were re-buffed and polished, and now they look like they are supposed to. I installed the new steering wheel and its like the "cherry on top!".

Still have a 3 rung ladder to put on, and the registration letters in (domed white on chrome) and the boat name (same in blue) for the back to go on.

This week my SeaDeck should come in for the platform. After that she should be ready for the lake!

I've been planning on taking her out on Easter weekend, and sooooo looking forward to it! Then yesterday daughters boyfriend calls and want to come by, says he needs to visit with me a minute. He comes over last night and asks my permission for my daughters hand in marriage. Pretty freakin cool for a kid to do that nowdays!

Only problem is... he's going to propose on Easter weekend, and then he wants to make an announcement at a diner for both families. Ah well, ole blue will get in the water one of these days I guess!
"Black Boats Matter"