2001 293 Water Pump?

(190 through 360)
stockjos
Ensign
Ensign

2001 293 Water Pump?

Post by stockjos »

I am ordering a new water pump for my 2001 293 and would like to know where the water pump is located in the boat? Just purchased the boat a few days ago and need to know what level of effort I am looking at.

Thanks!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 2001 293 Water Pump?

Post by jhnmdahl »

I think that one's a twin engine, so the pump you need to replace will be bolted to one of the engines and belt-driven. Difficulty depends on how tight it is in your engine compartment and which engines you have - should be a pretty reasonable DIY project.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am I think that one's a twin engine, so the pump you need to replace will be bolted to one of the engines and belt-driven. Difficulty depends on how tight it is in your engine compartment and which engines you have - should be a pretty reasonable DIY project.

John
Yup:

WATER SYSTEM
Your Cobalt is equipped with a 31-gallon capacity water system (37-gallons including
hot water heater). The system is operated by a 12 VDC water pump located in the
engine compartment. It is necessary for the ship’s batteries to be turned on and the
MODEL SPECIFIC INFORMATION
COBALT BOATS - OWNER’S MANUAL
appropriate switch on the cabin electrical panel to be energized for the water system to
operate.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Liquid, good point - that's the fresh water system only, right? The fresh water system is 12V, in the rear of the boat but not on the engine (I think it's on the right as you face the rear, but Bigblock may know more).

There's separate raw water for engine cooling, which is what I was thinking about in my reply. Neither one should be too hard - working in confined space is likely to be the biggest limitation.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:19 pm Liquid, good point - that's the fresh water system only, right? The fresh water system is 12V, in the rear of the boat but not on the engine (I think it's on the right as you face the rear, but Bigblock may know more).

There's separate raw water for engine cooling, which is what I was thinking about in my reply. Neither one should be too hard - working in confined space is likely to be the biggest limitation.
Also a good point John! I automatically assumed he was talking about the water system. All bases covered.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL