Delta

(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Delta

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Anyone have suggestions on where to launch, and where to go for a one day trip? Coming from the north. I have very little experience boating around there...Up in Sac the launch launch ramps leave me with a feeling my truck may be gone when I come back, so looking for something opposite of that if possible.

Thinking this weekend or the following..
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Delta

Post by Titaniumboy »

While I’ve been boating on the Delta now for over 10 years, I am far from being a Delta expert.

Are you looking to launch in the North Delta or the South Delta (which I define as being north or south of the San Joaquin River)? If launching in the South Delta, good points to launch from would be Discovery Bay or Whiskey Slough. Whiskey Slough is officially not allowing public use of their launch ramps this year, but I would think you could call them and arrange something. I’m not very familiar with boat launches in the North Delta.

Are you looking to do water sports? Or just cruise around and see some sights? Maybe you’re going to want to hit some restaurants or bars?

How long of a day on the water are you looking at? 4 hours? Or a full day of sun and fun? During the weekday or weekend?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Titaniumboy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:00 pm While I’ve been boating on the Delta now for over 10 years, I am far from being a Delta expert.

Are you looking to launch in the North Delta or the South Delta (which I define as being north or south of the San Joaquin River)? If launching in the South Delta, good points to launch from would be Discovery Bay or Whiskey Slough. Whiskey Slough is officially not allowing public use of their launch ramps this year, but I would think you could call them and arrange something. I’m not very familiar with boat launches in the North Delta.

Are you looking to do water sports? Or just cruise around and see some sights? Maybe you’re going to want to hit some restaurants or bars?

How long of a day on the water are you looking at? 4 hours? Or a full day of sun and fun? During the weekday or weekend?
Thanks!

I would say north delta as it’s a shorter drive, unless it makes more sense to drive further south. I’d try to make a full day on a weekend. At some point I want to do a weekend, but not sure where to stay which is one of the reasons I want to go check it out. Restaurant spot would be nice!

I’m a lake guy and hit the Sac river every 2-3 years it seems. I think I have one more trip this season and all the lakes are empty, so looking for something new to explore.
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

May I suggest off March lane exit and I-5 Ladds marina.
You can launch easily and explore west and north.
Windmill Cove 1 Ike in the left has great music.

And going further in the main channel can open up places like Rusty porthole and classic Delta feel spots.
The Riverboat had a recent fire but has been advertised in Facebook as still having bands.

On your way in stop by Garlic brothers restaurant.

Grab or download the Delta map and have a blast.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

cmattj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:36 pm Windmill Cove 1 Ike in the left has great music.
+1
Rewind (80’s tribute band) later today, Metallica tribute band on Sunday and a Tom Petty tribute band next Sunday October 2.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Thanks, Ladds looks like a good spot to launch, wouldn't of known it was there.

I like the live music idea, are you listening from your boat or is this a park and walk up situation? Up here there are a few restaurants that will have live music but there is never anywhere to park the boat when it's busy....
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Windmill Cove Bar and Grill is only a couple miles downstream from Ladd’s Marina. Ladd’s is on the lower right and Windmill Cove is on the upper left.

https://www.facebook.com/windmillcovebar/

5EF0A4D2-1C25-4703-9047-862D9A640809.png

There is a large protected lagoon with docks for probably 40 or 50 boats. You only have to walk a couple of feet from your boat to see the band and have access to food and adult beverages.

BEB5BE58-9DF9-4379-88F4-E3ADC13596DE.png
2ABAA423-E09C-4603-8D4C-998361595E12.png
6B9536A8-4BC2-4B5B-979C-C9519DA6EB2E.jpeg
28A74D44-12C2-479C-B1D8-50035EDA06B2.jpeg

Saturday Oct 1 is some big Octoberfest shindig with real German beer, real German food, and real German music. This is one of the few ticketed events of the year costing around $15 or $20 per person. Sunday Oct 2 is a free Tom Petty tribute band.

8253ED4B-8A30-416A-A825-C1B7D51AFFEA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA