Which Ceramic or graphene - personal experiences?

DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Which Ceramic or graphene - personal experiences?

Post by DEcosse »

I've been doing some defect (scrape) restoration on my 232 along with a strip/polish prior to ceramic coating - brand/type yet tbd!
Other than the obvious scrapes/gouges that required repair, the previous owner did maintain a good consistent wax, so there is no serious oxidation to address.

So - what are your personal experience with those who have DIY'd a ceramic coating? - and recognize there may not be many!
And if you haven't, is it something you might be considering (and what is stopping you? - perhaps the prep which is not trivial!)

(I'm probably less interested in what professional detailers might have used, even if that sounds counter-productive as professionals should know best, right? - however would still like to hear feedback of what your detailer may have installed and how it's holding up/what maintenance do you do on it etc)

I'm especially interested in feedback on Glidecoat - it's specifically targeted for Marine use, and as such none of the 'shoot-out' tests on YouTube seem to have tested it. But it has good reviews however would love some feedback from our community. Any of of group used that, either DIY or detailer applied?

The other I'm tempted by, although not specifically marine application, is the Adams Graphene Advanced - perhaps considering that one more because a) it's seemingly good value and relatively scores well on testing vs others; b) ease of application of graphene type ceramics.

Starke's Liquid Kraken also appeals - initial look at pricing seems expensive but when you consider the container volume and available discounts, it's maybe not so bad - anyone have that on their cobalt?

All your inputs are most welcome!
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Which Ceramic or graphene - personal experiences?

Post by Titaniumboy »

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with ceramic coatings.

If I were to contemplate using a ceramic coating on my older 2007 gelcoat, I would first check in with my goto YouTube guru “Local boydidgood” by posting a question on his channel comment section. He is really good at responding to questions. Unlike many other YouTube detailers, he doesn’t sell any products whatsoever, so any product he might suggest doesn’t make him a penny.

I think that he is not a fan of applying a ceramic coating to a boat unless the boat is fairly new. He has done some testing and has come to the conclusion that the superior properties of ceramic coatings really don’t last as long as promised on less than pristine gelcoat. But you should check with him yourself and see what he recommends.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Can report back in a few weeks. Plan on going with Glidecoat. Boat is fairly new but the first for me that has color. Past boats have always been white. Always hesitated on colored because what they tend to look like after a few years. Hoping ceramic coating will reduce oxidation.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Thanks @Titaniumboy - I have studied a lot of YouTube videos for techniques. I see a lot of the detailers having to do Paint Correction even on new boats!
I have seen his videos (he's actually from this area) - fortunately my boat does not need anything like the stuff he is doing. I just watched his 'practical joke' video - while the work is excellent, I personally would not be happy with that 'surprise, if it really was done without prior consent (although for 'entertainment value, who knows if it was or wasn't). From the videos I've seen and looking through the index, he does appear to be very much a wax guy? On his 'ceramic exposed', he's just comparing with a boat sitting simply in the elements, vs one in the water.
My Gel is actually in very good shape (other than the scrapes I had to repair) and has been otherwise maintained exceptionally well. Again, other than the repair sections, it does not generally need serious compounding and will get predominantly a fresh polish to enhance it to optimize the shine prior to coating.

@stifflkd - can I ask what influenced you to select Glidecoat?
They do look extremely professional and having dedicated Marine products is a big plus.
I'd love to see your pictures when it's complete.
My friend and neighbour has a 2021 dark blue Regal - I have to say that I LOVE how it looks but it is very hard to maintain. White is just incredibly forgiving. But after mine is done, I'm going to talk him into doing his too.
I think ceramic is no different in regard of having to keep up the maintenance - but that maintenance is simply a lot easier on ceramic after the initial effort. Use the appropriate enhanced soaps and use top-up/detail sprays. I think you are making a great choice on a new boat.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

He really likes something called Fire Glaze, which is dog meat cheap at $26 per 12 ounce bottle (at least compared with ceramic coating prices). All the stuff below this is shamelessly copied and pasted from a YouTube description that he uploaded a couple of weeks ago. If it were me, I would be running your questions and ideas through Lee and see what he says. I’ve been accused - probably with good reason - of improperly pimping for this guy, but it is hard to argue with his results.

• I use a DeWalt DWP849X

If I'm going for perfection in gelcoat, I don't use a ceramic (unless a very new boat) I prefer the ease, cost and reliability of Fire Glaze by RMP. Make sure you get all the oxidation out of the gelcoat, get a great finish, clean and strip the surface and then apply Fire Glaze.

https://www.restructuremarine.com/fireglaze-products-2

(tell them Lee sent you. No discount and I receive nothing but I'd like them to know 😊)
    There's a "marine" version but it has the same main ingredient as Fire Glaze, just a different lubricant/carrier solution made to be environment friendly. I find it dries rather fast and as I'm in a hot climate, I use Fire Glaze instead of Restructure Marine Polish. I like their Mirasol spray for all the interior furnishings as well.

For a demo on how I apply this stuff:

3M Quick Connect adapter (mfg # 05752) to use with the double-sided compounding pad (3M mfg #05753) or the double-sided polishing pad (3M mfg #05754)
    Foam compounding pads 3M (05737-discontinued but awesome)
    or (05723-new version 😑)

3M Super-Duty (05954)
    3M Perfect It Heavy Cutting Compound (36102)
    Perfect-it ex ac compounds by 3M (36060)
    Meguiar’s (owned by 3M) Flagship Premium Wax (M6332) Pro Polish by Shurehold or 3M's liquid wax with scotchguard.

I receive no payment for listing these items. I list them because you guys ask and I just thought I would save some time.

Wear protective gear, this stuff can cause cancer and kill you.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Thanks for your inputs @Titaniumboy - they are always appreciated, recognizing your frequent most-valued postings.
In this instance I'm not sure that asking about him Ceramic is worth the bother as we already kinda know his preference; he is sure to come back with the FireGlaze which is obviously his go-to and already makes it pretty clear in his videos, stating he wouldn't use anything else on his own boat - or car! (and I have no problem with what HIS preference is for his self & his detailing business)
It's certainly an interesting product and well priced; and he makes a reasonably compelling case with how good he makes it look - and I would not dare as a rank amateur to try to argue the case against his obviously superior experience; but I'm pretty set on a Ceramic Coating (or Graphene - my choice changes daily between the GlideCoat and Liquid Kraken :mrgreen: )
Now - I MIGHT just try the Fireglaze on the car! :mrgreen:
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Sounds like a plan!

Just be sure and post Before and After pictures.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA