California Delta Questions

(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

California Delta Questions

Post by Titaniumboy »

I’ve been boating in the Delta for over ten years, but it is so large that I’ve only explored a fraction of it. I have a couple of questions for any Delta experts out there.

1. Can my boat fit under the Delta Cross Channel Gates located in Walnut Grove? Anyone ever take their boat through this structure?

Last year I had gone downstream on the San Joaquin River and made my way over to the Sacramento River via Three Mile Slough. Then I went upstream on the Sacramento all the way to Walnut Grove, then took Georgiana Slough back to the San Joaquin. I want to do the same trip again this year, but I want to avoid the extensive no-wake zones of Georgiana Slough. It looks like IF I can fit under the Delta Cross Channel Gates then I can find fast water on the North or South Mokelumne River to get back to the San Joaquin.

I really do not want to get to Walnut Grove and find out that I can’t fit through the Cross Channel Gates. My only options would be to either 1) retrace my journey back along the Sacramento (a lot of water miles), or 2) slog through Georgiana Slough again (several miles at idle speed).

3554A555-633C-4F1A-B4A3-DC693F59F071.jpeg
CAC1D328-A54A-4E9D-AF1A-3C1CE9BC55B1.jpeg
4C704302-775A-423A-BF10-3DB402F52E48.jpeg

2. How far can I go upstream past Stockton on the San Joaquin River? What is the farthest you’ve ever gone up the San Joaquin?

I’m wondering whether I can make it all the way south to Lathrop, perhaps aiming for either Dos Reis Park or Mossdale Crossing Park?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: California Delta Questions

Post by cmattj »

Hey buddy.
The walnut grove lock.
We done the Sacramento trip many times up through there.
In our 282 with Bimini and didn’t have to lower it.
I’m sure our 272 with tower will go.

Spring when they first open the lock is iffy and trees are everywhere floating. :shock:
July on is perfect.
Yes the slough by Gusties ( rip ). That takes you to The meadows behind walnut grove.
58EE1152-570C-4959-AD55-6F97DEB5A893.png

Going south east Delta.
Just a couple of times

South by way of main channel behind weston ranch ( San Joaquin) is a twisted leg but will take you to moss Dale and the Haven Acres cafe.
Yes you can go further but the hyacinth starts collecting this time of year.

Post some pics of you exploring!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Thanks Matt for the help.

I had been to Giusti’s once about 12 years ago, but we were in a caravan of boats making the trek and I wasn’t doing any navigation. I think we went up the South Mokelumne and came down the North Mokelumne. I’ve heard about the Meadows but have never made it there yet.

Hopefully we don’t lose any more Delta spots. Giusti’s, Lost Isle, and now Riverboat Restaurant are all gone.☹️

So if you can make it in a 272 with tower, then I should be good to go. Perhaps choosing to go through the Gates/Locks at low tide would help my odds.

Going south east Delta.
Just a couple of times

South by way of main channel behind weston ranch ( San Joaquin) is a twisted leg but will take you to moss Dale and the Haven Acres cafe.
Yes you can go further but the hyacinth starts collecting this time of year.

I had not heard of Weston Ranch but looking at a map I see it sitting there just south of downtown Stockton and nestled between the San Joaquin River and Interstate 5. What do you mean by twisted leg?

How is Haven Acres Cafe compared to Windmill Cove Bar and Grill?

How far south have you made it in your larger boat?

I should hire you as a Delta tour guide!
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

We can team up!
Haven acres is small but a interesting switch back slough ( twisted. )
Tiki lagoon is also managed by the same person. ( But Tiki has occasional music and lowest fuel prices.
I think that’s as far down towards mossdale I’ve been. You can go west and catch the slough towards discovery bay. But I lost interest and turned around 🤣.

Windmill Cove is now the better place as Jerry pushes live music as you know.

We went to the Point restaurant in Rio Vista last week, and saw the remains of RiverBoat.
They have a floating double wide there now as they are trying to stay revelant? Sucks.

Lighthouse is also closed next to them but Korths pirates liar is open.

We’ll have to meet up at windmill and share our intel.
I’ve lived on 14 mile slough for 19 years so we’ve done a lot of exploring. (Brookside and right around the corner from Garlic Brothers.)

Bought the cool Delta Map that showed everything from Bars to Restaurants. Before iPhones. Still awesome!
67566FC7-D7DC-408B-9EDF-E24268519D3A.jpeg
From Sacramento to the Golden Gate …
3236ABC9-9031-403A-BA59-598DCF97F0D6.jpeg
Yes that was in a 22 Donzi Classic 🤣. Fearless!

ahh gas prices are going to change long range boating.
Led Zeppelin tribute band at Windmill Saturday 3pm.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

We can team up!
Haven acres is small but a interesting switch back slough ( twisted. )
Tiki lagoon is also managed by the same person. ( But Tiki has occasional music and lowest fuel prices.
I think that’s as far down towards mossdale I’ve been. You can go west and catch the slough towards discovery bay. But I lost interest and turned around 🤣.

Team Delta !?!

Haven Acres would be cool just to grab a beer if nothing else. I love Tiki Lagoon for the low gas prices and its super convenient for me as it’s on the way from Whiskey Slough to Windmill Cove. Did you know that Tiki Lagoon and Turner Cut Resort are now owned by the same people for the first time in their 60 year history?

We went to the Point restaurant in Rio Vista last week, and saw the remains of RiverBoat.
They have a floating double wide there now as they are trying to stay revelant? Sucks.

Lighthouse is also closed next to them but Korths pirates liar is open.

It would be sad, but also cool, to see what is left of Moore’s Riverboat. Apparently this is not the first time it has burned down. The original Moore’s Riverboat was called the Sutter and today is the clubhouse for the San Joaquin Yacht Club in Bethel Island. I just read that the fire was caused by arson and that the arsonist was arrested!?! I’ll have to go see the doublewide and give them some business.

I didn’t know Lighthouse was also closed - I had always wanted to try it out someday. I’ve popped into Korths Pirate Lair just to look around but didn’t actually stop and dock.

https://sjyc.org/about

Bought the cool Delta Map that showed everything from Bars to Restaurants. Before iPhones. Still awesome!

I love (loce ??) that map and I’ve got several of them. I even have the laminated flat version mounted on my garage cabinets and I’m constantly going out to look at it.

F4CC9D88-5605-47B4-B609-87A344E3755F.jpeg

From Sacramento to the Golden Gate …. Yes that was in a 22 Donzi Classic 🤣. Fearless!

You are a madman.😳 But it sounds like a lot of fun.

We’ll have to meet up at windmill and share our intel.
I’ve lived on 14 mile slough for 19 years so we’ve done a lot of exploring. (Brookside and right around the corner from Garlic Brothers.)

Definitely would like to buy you a beer and share intel. I’ve been going to Windmill to see concerts quite a bit in the last several years. My wife sometimes says it is my home away from home.🧐 I envy you being so close to the Delta - for me it is an hours drive to Whiskey Slough or Windmill Cove. But I have been known to make that trip two or three days in a row.

Led Zeppelin tribute band at Windmill Saturday 3pm.

Oh yeah, baby.🤟🤘 I’ve been looking forward to this one ever since I heard about it last week. I’ll be in the red Cobalt.😎
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA