Dehumidifier drain

DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Dehumidifier drain

Post by DEcosse »

I'm going to have the boat shrink-wrapped for the off season.
Found nice local company that does mobile service at your home - can even install a zipper should access be necessary!
My question is on Dehumidifiers and draining - clearly not practical to be getting in there daily, or every other to empty a canister;
Where do the drains exit on the boat (my 232)? There is one in the ice chest and a floor drain right by the pass-through step , both of which would be convenient - I haven't tested them (yet!) to see!
I'm guessing here - is it maybe the chrome port that is below the Cobalt Wreath Emblem on the starboard side?
Or maybe on the transom?
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Dehumidifier drain

Post by ajcampen »

prob the transon. I don't think a dehumidifier is necessary though.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

DEcosse wrote:Where do the drains exit on the boat (my 232)? There is one in the ice chest and a floor drain right by the pass-through step...

I'm not sure about the floor drain, but I know for a fact on my boat that the ice chest drains eventually to the bilge. I found that the ice chest was the easiest place to dump water into while I was testing how (or if) the automatic float switch worked.

I’ll have to take a closer look at that floor drain and where it goes. I have a second floor drain where the cockpit table is inset into the floor.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

A little off topic but are you sure a de-humidifier is necessary. Maybe a Davis Instrument Air-Dryr would be a better choice and a lot easier on your electric bill. That and about 4 DampRid containers should keep the humidity down. Most of all since you are shrink wrapping make sure your guy puts in 4-5 vents and I would recommend blue wrap over white.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

All of the drains in the boat drain to the bilge.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:47 pm All of the drains in the boat drain to the bilge.
Yes, it appears so - the aforementioned floor drain simply has an elbow below it, open to the engine bay.

I'm not too worried about the electric bill, but I'm at least going to get one with a humidity level detector so it will switch off if it reaches it's set point & cycle accordingly.

I definitely want to get one, here in the NW everyone locally advises it is pretty much a given.
The Wrap installer looks very competent - he will install vents as a standard matter of course and also offers a zipper option for access. .
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

What has worked very well for us is two west marine dehumidifiers with fan, I also put a small free standing fan. And also leave open any storage compartments for air circulation.