Winter prep question

(190 through 360)
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Winter prep question

Post by TwoDuckDad »

My 240 is covered with factory bow and cockpit snap on covers, fresh water tank has been drained, the outdrive is in the full down position, and the boat is on a lift.

My plan is to be able to use the boat year round and not have to winterize. I installed a Xtreme bilge heater powered by dock power. At the dock location the water is very calm with virtually no waves due to other docks between mine and the main body of the lake.

Is there any need to cover the outdrive with an insulated cover? Any other tips or tricks to keep freezing temps from damaging the boat?
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Re: Winter prep question

Post by stifflkd »

The outdrive should drain if on a lift but there is most likely water from the transom to the water pump, not to mention the water that runs through the engine. If you are confident that the heater will keep the engine compartment above freezing and not have a concern of losing power I guess you should be okay but I would recommend draining the block as well just in case.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

thanks stifflkd. However, that defeats my main purpose which is to keep the boat ready to use throughout winter. I have also ordered an "isocket" device which will notify me of dock power failure (and restore) as well as a current temperature (probe on engine) and water detection (with probe to place in the bilge). It works on a cellular network so it will notify me anywhere I might be during a power failure.
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Typically, you'd have enough advanced notice that temps were dipping too low and have time to respond if necessary. Around central MO as winter approaches consider 24/24, meaning 24* or less for 24 hours. Other than that, you should be fine.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Consider a closed coolant system for the boat
2004 220
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

SAB220 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 am Consider a closed coolant system for the boat
Sounds very expensive. Anyone done this mod?
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

TwoDuckDad wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:17 am thanks stifflkd. However, that defeats my main purpose which is to keep the boat ready to use throughout winter. I have also ordered an "isocket" device which will notify me of dock power failure (and restore) as well as a current temperature (probe on engine) and water detection (with probe to place in the bilge). It works on a cellular network so it will notify me anywhere I might be during a power failure.
Understood. Thought maybe VP had a Easy Drain type system in their earlier models. I had a 2002 Mercruiser that could drain the block with a turn of a valve like EasyDrain offers today to drain the raw water in their Gen V's
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

IMO, you're playing with fire. But if you're going to use a bilge heater, instead of winterizing . . .

Seal the engine compartment to prevent heat loss.

"the boat is on a lift."

She's safer in the water, for the same reason that bridges freeze before roads.

"Is there any need to cover the outdrive with an insulated cover?"

Yes, to prevent heat loss.
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

SAB220 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 am Consider a closed coolant system for the boat
That's easier said than done!
I would LOVE to install a FWC kit on my boat, but a kit is impossible to find and looks like purchasing all the individual components is how it will have to go. I can possibly try to adapt a kit from another engine ...... Some engines may be easier to accommodate, even with after-market kits. No luck so far on my 8.1 (if anyone can advise happy to hear!!)

Even though I will have an engine flush and fill with Pink Anti-Freeze for on-land storage, I decided to splash on a Twin Hornet 45 700w Boat Bilge Engine Compartment Heater. It has excellent reviews and will only turn on 'when it needs to'. It's likely overkill with a Winterizing Anti-Freeze fill, but decided to just add that additional insurance. Significantly less expensive vs Xtreme and with more power too.
And also purchased this Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer H5179 Smart Humidity Temperature Sensor with App Notification Alert, to keep an eye on what is going on in there.
And finally a NOCO GENIUS2X2, 2-Bank, 4A (2A/Bank) Smart Charger/Maintainer just to keep the batteries topped up.
I'm really pleased with the quality of all three products - I don't know yet about the performance aspects other than the reviews - but have to say, the packaging alone on the Noco Charger is a thing of beauty! :mrgreen: Their customer support is good too - before I purchased I had a question of back current flow/drain if the Charger was connected, but not plugged in to the AC Power Supply - I received a very prompt response affirming there was no concern there and designed accordingly to remain in-situ, even when unpowered.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

You would still need to drain the raw water between water pump and exhaust manifolds. It in itself hold about 2-3 gallons of water.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"