Boat cover materials

Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Boat cover materials

Post by Snowman8 »

I am maybe going to have a custom mooring cover made for my 2014 R5 because I can’t get a factory cover to work with the bimini EZ fold system, or so they say.. I contacted a local canvas shop named Canvas Craft and they told me they normally use a material called Aqualon Edge but they have custom upgraded options of Hydrofend or Sunbrella. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with any of those materials? My boat mostly sits in my shed and I really only want to get a mooring cover for towing and when the boat has to sit out while on trips and such. The price they quoted me depending on options is less than I can order the OEM cover too. I can also have it made to go over my bimini while it is in the lowered position so everything would be covered from the elements.

I am tired of snaps on my bow and cockpit covers. I have quite a few that are loose and more that will are just starting to loosen. I also don’t like how the bow & cockpit covers leak so bad and snaps always come loose while towing down the road.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Boat cover materials

Post by bruceb58 »

Sunbrella hands down. Thats what I use when I sew new boat covers

Agualon is waterproof but it also doesn't breathe. It won't last as long as Sunbrella too.

I wouldn't tow with any cover though. Too hard on the cover and it rubs the gel coat
Last edited by bruceb58 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

I am far from an expert but I have always heard sunbrella as the best.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am I wouldn't tow with any cover though. Too hard on the cover and it rubs the gel coat
The factory mooring cover (from Commercial Sewing / Outer Armor) is designed to be towed with.

https://commercialsewing.com/mooring-covers/

I towed CA --> AR --> CA with that cover with no issues. I'll do it again this summer.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

mdadgar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:15 am
bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am I wouldn't tow with any cover though. Too hard on the cover and it rubs the gel coat
The factory mooring cover (from Commercial Sewing / Outer Armor) is designed to be towed with.

https://commercialsewing.com/mooring-covers/

I towed CA --> AR --> CA with that cover with no issues. I'll do it again this summer.

- Mark
This is the cover that I would have already ordered but I am told they won’t make it to fit with the ez fold bimini. I have thought about purchasing it and just having a canvas shop alter it to fit the rear supports when the bimini is lowered. I started to talk to the canvas shop they told me that they could make the entire cover for what the Outer Armor cover cost’s. Then they told me that it is an up charge to go with Sunbrella so now it is getting more expensive... and oh yeah its an extra charge for flaps for the gas fill and the cleats... It isn’t such a good idea now price wise and I am back on the idea of just altering an OEM cover. I am in no hurry so maybe one will pop up on EBay cheap.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am Sunbrella hands down. Thats what I use when I sew new boat covers

Agualon is waterproof but it also doesn't breathe. It won't last as long as Sunbrella too.

I wouldn't tow with any cover though. Too hard on the cover and it rubs the gel coat
Bruce do you sew covers for a living or just a side job?
The canvas shop did tell me that they put extra vents in their covers. I imagine that if Aqualon doesn’t breathe that is why.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Snowman8 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am
bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am Sunbrella hands down. Thats what I use when I sew new boat covers

Bruce do you sew covers for a living or just a side job?
The canvas shop did tell me that they put extra vents in their covers. I imagine that if Aqualon doesn’t breath that is why.
I do it as a hobby. My mom used to do it for a real job and she taught me how to sew.

Extra vents probably help. I still wouldn't use it.

This is the pontoon cover I made with Sunbrella
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

mdadgar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:15 amThe factory mooring cover (from Commercial Sewing / Outer Armor) is designed to be towed with.
Yep...you CAN tow with it. I have made many covers that I have towed with. I just find that its just not worth the extra wear and tear on the cover and the boat gel coat so I stopped doing it. Boat covers are expensive so my theory is maximize their life.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I do like my Commercial Sewing mooring cover well enough I would lean strongly toward modifying one to fit my needs. I towed my boat without mine on one time, and won’t do that again - it’s great for mooring, towing, or storage.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:28 am I do like my Commercial Sewing mooring cover well enough I would lean strongly toward modifying one to fit my needs. I towed my boat without mine on one time, and won’t do that again - it’s great for mooring, towing, or storage.
My thoughts too, I guess I was just thinking about other options. I called my dealer to get a price on the Commercial Sewing cover, its been a few days and haven’t heard back from them yet. I have also towed a few times without the cover and I don’t like it either. I am always wondering what is going to blow out, carpet, seats, etc. I tow nearly 80 miles one way to get to our favorite place on the St.Croix river and all but about 15 miles is on the freeway. Seems like I am constantly seeing boat seats & life jackets in the ditches so I don’t want it to be my stuff.
darrylrose
Ensign
Ensign

Post by darrylrose »

The materials you mentioned, Aqualon Edge, Hydrofend, and Sunbrella, are all commonly used in boat covers and are known for their durability and resistance to UV rays and water.

Aqualon Edge is a heavy-duty polyester fabric that is known for its strength and durability. Hydrofend is a breathable material that is also water-resistant. Sunbrella is a high-quality acrylic fabric that is known for its resistance to fading and mildew.

I can't speak to specific experiences with those materials, but all of them are reputable and commonly used in the boating industry. It's great that you're considering a custom mooring cover as it will be tailored to your boat, bimini and other features.

I recommend checking out fancyboatsibiza.com for more information on boat-related items and accessories. They may have more information on these materials and other options.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

darrylrose wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:41 am The materials you mentioned, Aqualon Edge, Hydrofend, and Sunbrella, are all commonly used in boat covers and are known for their durability and resistance to UV rays and water.

Aqualon Edge is a heavy-duty polyester fabric that is known for its strength and durability. Hydrofend is a breathable material that is also water-resistant. Sunbrella is a high-quality acrylic fabric that is known for its resistance to fading and mildew.

I can't speak to specific experiences with those materials, but all of them are reputable and commonly used in the boating industry. It's great that you're considering a custom mooring cover as it will be tailored to your boat, bimini and other features.

I recommend checking out fancyboatsibiza.com for more information on boat-related items and accessories. They may have more information on these materials and other options.
I kinda forgot about this post. I ended up buying the OEM Commercial Sewing cover because it was about half the cost of a custom cover. I am very happy with the cover after having it a couple years.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:54 am I kinda forgot about this post. I ended up buying the OEM Commercial Sewing cover because it was about half the cost of a custom cover. I am very happy with the cover after having it a couple years.
I make my own boat covers and even I can't make it as well as that OEM cover. I will be buying the OEM cover when mine wears out.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:31 pm
Snowman8 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:54 am I kinda forgot about this post. I ended up buying the OEM Commercial Sewing cover because it was about half the cost of a custom cover. I am very happy with the cover after having it a couple years.
I make my own boat covers and even I can't make it as well as that OEM cover. I will be buying the OEM cover when mine wears out.
They are definitely well made!
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

My Sunbrella bow, cockpit covers, and a rear cover covering all the way down the extended swim platform, were used religiously by the original owner and by me since I bought the boat...it's a 2007 and the material has held up extremely well with very little fading, not one seam has come undone, and only a few of the snaps have been replaced (I think 2). Also, for what it's worth, we have Sunbrella cushions on our porch chairs, swings, and rockers. They have been outside in all weather (Lake Lanier, GA) 24/7/365 and still look fantastic!
IMG_7503.jpeg
IMG_9844.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP