Compliance Issue...On-board Signage

Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Compliance Issue...On-board Signage

Post by Avg_Guy »

I'm in the process of ensuring that my new-to-me 263 is outfitted with all of the required safety equipment, and I have come across a "compliance requirement" that seems more than a bit ridiculous. It states as follows:

If you have a boat 26’ or longer, you must have a written garbage placard and an oil discharge placard “prominently posted” to remind you and your crew what can be thrown overboard and what can’t. The placards must be permanently attached, be made of durable material, and must be at least 4X9 inches in size. Great Lakes boaters must display a garbage placard specifically designed for the Great lakes.

I understand the intent and purpose of this regulation in commercial applications, however I am not seeing a purpose of place for these placards on my boat. Seriously, I cannot imagine that there are any recreational boaters that need to post these signs on their boats to ensure that their "crew" is aware that it is illegal to dump oil and trash in the water.

Aside from rarely spitting my gum out, I never litter, and seriously despise the folks that do, but am I alone in not wanting to permanently affix and display these decals/signs on my boat?

Have any of you been inspected and cited for not having these posted on your boat?

Just wondering if this is something that actually NEEDS to be in compliance, or if it is an acknowledged "should have them but not enforced" item?
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby
2005 Cobalt 263 - Merc 496 Mag/Bravo 3
NorCal's Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta / Lake Chelan, WA
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Compliance Issue...On-board Signage

Post by AsLan7 »

Big brother reaching down with another sign requirement for which the user has to pay.
In the Air Force we had a saying that codified this philosophy... "punish the asses by going after the masses."

I have the placards but have never been inspected.

More info if desired....

Coast Guard Regulation

BoatSafe pollution Regs

West Marine Placards

USCG Vessel Safety Checklist
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avg_Guy »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:34 pm .
Big brother reaching down with another sign requirement for which the user has to pay.
In the Air Force we had a saying that codified this philosophy... "punish the asses by going after the masses."

I have the placards but have never been inspected.
Yup, thinking I should buy the aluminum signs and store them on the boat...just in case.
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Buy the signs and hang them in a locker.....If you don't have them you will get inspected...if you do, you never will.
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avg_Guy »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:44 pm Buy the signs and hang them in a locker.....If you don't have them you will get inspected...if you do, you never will.
Truth!
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby