Advice on new R8 or R6

Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Advice on new R8 or R6

Post by Table Rockin »

meant to say auto rates are usually less than watercraft rates.........
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Yes, that interest rate is high, but it's not out of line. It's a deterent for sure, but if you can pay off early, the up front discount on finance might be worth it.
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

I'd go R8 all day long at the same price. You never regret having more space on a boat.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:17 am I think I'd find look for better financing.
What lakes will you be using?
Is Futrell your dealer?
Definitely exploring finance options with the dealer and with other lenders. We'll be using it on Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas and will eventually move it over to Lake Norfork in North Central Arkansas. The dealer is Arrowhead. They have 4 or 5 locations in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

I hear Greer's Ferry is beautiful. If this boat works out perhaps we'll get down there one day.
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

billk2632 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am What are the colors on the R8? That is somewhat important, for example before I bought my R5, I passed on a very nice 242 only because it was that maroon color that fades like crazy.
The R8 has a black hull and side with a white or light gray stripe. The R6 is white with the light blue side. I have some pictures that the dealer sent me but they aren't great. I'm taking it for a sea trial Saturday morning. I'll get some better pictures then.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

BudtheThirsty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:02 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:17 am I think I'd find look for better financing.
What lakes will you be using?
Is Futrell your dealer?
Definitely exploring finance options with the dealer and with other lenders. We'll be using it on Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas and will eventually move it over to Lake Norfork in North Central Arkansas. The dealer is Arrowhead. They have 4 or 5 locations in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

I hear Greer's Ferry is beautiful. If this boat works out perhaps we'll get down there one day.
Greers Ferry is really nice. If you come, let me know and I'll show you around.
We never leave because I couldn't afford a trailer. ;)
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

BudtheThirsty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:54 am Hello all,

We are looking at a new 2022 R8 and a new 2023 R6. Comparably equipped, both are 380hp with the Merc in the r8 and the VP in the r6. Both are plenty big enough for our Arkansas lakes and towing either occasionally won’t be an issue. The dealer before any negotiating is about $75k off the $250k sticker on the r8. The r6 is roughly the same price again before any negotiating. I believe the dealer would have more room still on the 2022 r8. I think I know the “best deal” here but just wanted to get some thoughts from folks who have made these decisions before. I’m fully confident either boat will meet our needs. Looking to get advice on negotiating further, things I can ask for that won’t result i the dealer thinking I’m not serious or unreasonable, etc. Also curious what type of cruising speed / top end I should expect with both. Looking forward to your input!
I would definitely go with the 8. Given your choices, never underestimate the stress the second guessing a smaller boat purchase will bring. The shouda-couldas wont stop.
Speed? Both will be 50+ mile an hour boats.
Its almost funny how people anguish in trying to gain 1 or 2 MPH.
They are family boats, not Cigarette racers.

Generally, the dealer mark-up is 40%-42%. 30% off is a great deal while leaving meat on the bone. I still don't see a dealer dipping that far into profit unless they have a ton of stock available to sell..
Shoot for 33%, and see where it takes you. Have your checkbook with you. That may motivate a dealer if he feels pressure to sell.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Tuscany wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:36 am
Its almost funny how people anguish in trying to gain 1 or 2 MPH.
They are family boats, not Cigarette racers.
I've always thought this as well... my wife thinks 30 mph is WOT on our boat. I really don't like to cruise past that any how, If I get a glassy morning I'm not past putting the hammer down and seeing what I can get, and it is fun for a bit, but I wouldn't want to cruise the lake with chop like that. I think the top speed thing is mostly an ego booster :0).
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

Thanks for all of the input each of you provided. It's truly appreciated. We decided to go with the R8. We've agreed on price and terms so we should be taking delivery in the next couple of weeks. I'll get pictures posted once it's officially ours.

We took it for a sea trial Saturday morning and loved it. I wouldn't say the boat jumps out of the water but you can really feel the power of the motor. I suspect that thing will get on plane in 4-5 seconds whether it's my wife and I or loaded down with whole family and some friends. I was really impressed with how it handled too. I was pretty heavy handed on the trial and sales person was even more aggressive showing us the handling. It was very nimble for such a big boat.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Nice, I think that was the right move. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Can't wait to see pictures!
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Congrats! sounds like you definitely got a good deal so enjoy!
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Congratulations!
Yes, bring on the pictures when you get them.

I like your line about the salesman being more heavy handed with the boat than you were. I found myself in a similar situation last year when we purchased. The salesman was driving our 242 harder than I drove our previous 19ft Rinker. Yet the Cobalt felt much more stable and sure footed.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.