2005 263 Remote Controls (Throttle/Shift Lever)

(190 through 360)
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

2005 263 Remote Controls (Throttle/Shift Lever)

Post by Avg_Guy »

With my "Engine Does Not Crank" issue resolved I am on to my next "concern," the throttle/shift lever feels "numb"...by that I mean, when moving the lever forward and back, there is almost no detectable "feel" for the neutral position. In fact, there are two locations in the throw that feel nearly equal, but one is not the neutral position. Note that the throw/movement is not difficult...there is resistance but not significant. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to know if this is how the throttle/shift lever should throw or not...it certainly seems to me that the neutral position should be more "obvious" than it is.

Anyone have similar experience or thoughts?

Is there a quality "bolt-in" replacement available?
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby
2005 Cobalt 263 - Merc 496 Mag/Bravo 3
NorCal's Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta / Lake Chelan, WA
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2005 263 Remote Controls (Throttle/Shift Lever)

Post by AsLan7 »

Tough to diagnose this on the internet.
On the Merc shifter it is not very obvious where the neutral location is. You can feel a slight change but it may be more helpful if you put it in neutral, make a line using a Sharpie aligned with the forward part of the shift lever and another at the aft location of the shift lever. Then when you need to put her in neutral, move your shifter between these lines. This technique worked for both of our 260 series models.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avg_Guy »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:22 pm .
Tough to diagnose this on the internet.
On the Merc shifter it is not very obvious where the neutral location is. You can feel a slight change but it may be more helpful if you put it in neutral, make a line using a Sharpie aligned with the forward part of the shift lever and another at the aft location of the shift lever. Then when you need to put her in neutral, move your shifter between these lines. This technique worked for both of our 260 series models.
AL7, thanks for the reply. Interesting that you have that experience as well. Difficult to believe that Merc (or Cobalt) didn't have gear position indicators included in their remote controls sourcing spec. I remember there that all of the 1960-70s boats my dad had, when I was growing up, all had the gear positions indicated on the remote, and even a mechanical "lock" for neutral (IIRC?). So, I find myself "searching" for neutral on a 2005 due to no indicators and realize that my wife, who is NOT mechanically inclined whatsoever, will really struggle and that could be the difference between her enjoying our new boat owner experience and her not wanting to be more than a passenger.

Your suggestion is the exact thought I had while fidgeting with the "multiple neutrals" feel...I'm going to buy or make some labels to identify the neutral position, but I will continue to research a permanent solution to the current "numb" feel that this remote has.
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Difficult to believe that Merc (or Cobalt) didn't have gear position indicators . . ."

When getting into neutral, you can't hear or feel a faint click? Is there a neutral button on your throttle?

I had similar issues with an old Merc throttle. Installed a new one with fresh cable. Problem solved.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Kate wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:14 am "Difficult to believe that Merc (or Cobalt) didn't have gear position indicators . . ."

When getting into neutral, you can't hear or feel a faint click? Is there a neutral button on your throttle?

I had similar issues with an old Merc throttle. Installed a new one with fresh cable. Problem solved.
It's more of a faint looseness of feel after you leave either the FWD or REV position. You can feel it but the marks reinforce your confidence.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

I'm also surprised to hear this. Is this a Merc specific thing? My current and last boats both have/had Volvo's, and there is a very obvious click/catch into neutral. I'm wondering if it's just a different shifter design @ the helm, and one could see if a new model has the same feel or better. IF the newer one felt better, then maybe switch to the newer controls.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

NautiWeasel wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:52 pm I'm also surprised to hear this. Is this a Merc specific thing? My current and last boats both have/had Volvo's, and there is a very obvious click/catch into neutral. I'm wondering if it's just a different shifter design @ the helm, and one could see if a new model has the same feel or better. IF the newer one felt better, then maybe switch to the newer controls.

We also had a Cobalt with the Volvo Penta Kiekhafer style shifter and had a similar experience. Made two black marks using a sharpie for that extra reassurance.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avg_Guy »

Kate wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:14 am "Difficult to believe that Merc (or Cobalt) didn't have gear position indicators . . ."

Nope...no click, no definitive "feel" other than the two "looser" locations that feel like there is a little less "friction" or "effort" required for movement. Definitely does not provide a feel like it is in neutral. Have been casually researching replacement control sets, but I decided I need to learn about the controls before doing any further "shopping" and bought the appropriate (year and model) Merc Remote Controls manual...now just need the time to read it.
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby
Avg_Guy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avg_Guy »

NautiWeasel wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:52 pm I'm also surprised to hear this. Is this a Merc specific thing? My current and last boats both have/had Volvo's, and there is a very obvious click/catch into neutral. I'm wondering if it's just a different shifter design @ the helm, and one could see if a new model has the same feel or better. IF the newer one felt better, then maybe switch to the newer controls.
I have been doing some reading and it seems that, in 2006, Cobalt began moving to the DTS (digital) controls. Bought a 2006 Remote Controls manual so I can smarten up on the topic before going any further...need to understand my options for a better controls set.
"Avg_Guy" aka Colby