After-market Bimini Installed - 232 with Tower

(190 through 360)
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

After-market Bimini Installed - 232 with Tower

Post by DEcosse »

I belaboured for the longest time over from which supplier to purchase - or even to go to a Custom shop
Finally I selected the Collapsible Bimini from Big Air - https://bigairwaketowers.com/shop/acces ... imini-top/
Some of the reasons I purchased:
It was longer than other offerings, a foot more over Carver at 6' vs 5'. And some others I looked at were even 4'.
I liked the premium hinge feature which makes it much easier to deploy. (this really IS good feature, not just a gimmick)
It came with tension struts included in the price - these are quite expensive add-ons with the other brands
Price - this was less a major consideration, however it is certainly attactive
On the flip side:
Colour selection is limited - I really would have like Navy, like my covers - but they only have Black, a lighter Blue and Red
I went with the black - it obviously doesn't match the covers, but they are not on when the Bimini is deployed anyway, so it looks fine.
No option for upgraded fittings to stainless
20230527_161628_resized.jpg
20230527_161628_resized.jpg
20230527_161651_resized.jpg
20230528_093659_resized.jpg
20230528_093737_resized.jpg
It was not difficult to install - the initial step of assembling is pretty straight forward and the instructions are decent.
The trickier part comes when installing on the boat, trying to find the best location on the tower.
I have to say the packing was absolutely first class - all the bows are wrapped and protected from scratching and fastened to the carton with zip ties - so absolutely nothing is rattling loose inside the box.
One downside of the longer fore-aft length means that the legs have to be correspondingly longer - it specs at about 36" from the pivot bracket to the canopy when deployed - folded, it's 52". So that length doesn't give too many options for location, especially on the Cobalt tower. I spec'd the clamps for the tubing of the tower - Big Air actually has you give the circumference as it is easier for most people to measure that. My tubes were ~ 6-1/4" which is actually 2" diameter.
Now the clamps were actually more like 1-3/4" - they will 'spread' so they go on and 'do the job' but the jaws are not parallel. So a minor nit there.
The Bows have to stretch quite a bit from the 'natural' width to reach the attachment points on the tower where it is quite a bit wider
Tower_Dimensions.jpg
There are quick release pins for the forward bow at the bottom near the main pivit bracket, which you could choose to uncouple to get it under the tower when deploying - however with the folding hinge option on the forward bow, it's easier just to pull those pins (you can watch the video on their website - it's easier to see visually than to explain)
As mentioned, the kit comes with both straps and hard tubes for tensioning - you can go with either or a combination of the two per your own preference
I didn't want to use straps so managed to set it up without using anything other than what was in the kit. (the straps were useful however to get it tenioned initially, just hooking it onto some cleats to get it tight)
The tension rods are not very long and have two pairs of different lengths.
You can see how I have it set up in the last 2 images.
This is going to be a temporary measure for me - it's actually quite rigid but just doesn't 'look' great with the orientation of the supports, nor is it practical from a deployment/stowing perspective - none of these are quick disconnect which means unscrewing the thumb screws to unhitch the eye end of the support tube (so that would be 4 places). I can already see dropping one of them in the water :?
I want to utilize this form of tensioning - https://www.geminiproducts.net/straples ... sion-kits/ (but not necessarily buy that particular product) My current thinking is that, plus a long stay that goes down to a deck hinge, with a quick release pin.

The last piece is the cover - this a quality heavy-duty item, like the canopy itself and is nice fit, with a zipper. It also included some straps to secure the folded assembly to the tower.

I'm quite pleased with it overall, although there are a few things that might be improved (which I plan to):
The afore-mentioned tensioning stays (now consider those were included in the kit and other kits would have unless a purchased option)
The plastic fittings
Quick releases for stowing/deploying

But consider the price - it was $735 (with discount and free std shipping) complete and that included the premium hinge option.
I ordered it on Wednesday and they called me on Thursday afternoon to say it was ready to ship - and with the Holiday Weekend approaching, asked it I wanted to get it next day to be able to enjoy it on the weekend - the Mrs said "Do it!) so we paid an extra $100 for overnight shipping and indeed received it on Friday afternoon. Pre-assembled it that evening and installed on Sat morning and got out on the water within three days of ordering!

So I am happy with the product and can make the personal choice to upgrade some fittings and options as I choose.
Yes, I would recommend this a good option for anyone who is consdering an after-market Bimini.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: After-market Bimini Installed - 232 with Tower

Post by ajcampen »

Great write up. Looks great. Maybe you can find stainless fittings and replace over time
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Thanks @ajcampen
I already have fittings on order. Honestly, the plastic fittings are reasonably adequate, other than the fact that the thumbscrews are not very conducive for deploying/stowing from both efficiency and potential for dropping - already juggled one over the weekend while over the water :mrgreen:
So from a practical standpoint, quick releases with landyards on the pins and then I just want to have it look classier with the stainless vs plastic. It IS a Cobalt after all. :mrgreen:
The most difficult thing to find is a 50mm (2") Stainless Hinged Jaw Slide for the Tower Clamps - these are nowhere to be found in USA (or at least I certainly found none after extensive searching) - You can find 22, 25 and 32 but nothing really any bigger. There weren't even any that big on AliExpress. However I DID find them on Alibaba and with a reasonable minimum order - Alibaba typically is for volume wholesale.
So I have some 50mm and 22mm (7/8") Jaw slides on the way, along with some eye ends and also a couple of hinges to make a spreader stay like the Gemini product I linked above.
I'll update the thread with images of the new parts once installed (probably be a couple of weeks though till I receive them)
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Hinged_Jaw_Slide .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi