2018 R7 Surf gas filling issue

crabtn
Ensign
Ensign

2018 R7 Surf gas filling issue

Post by crabtn »

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2018 R7 Surf and it is extremely hard to fill the gas tank. I tried it on the water at three different fuel docks with the same result. It barely trickles in before gas comes back up. I then tried to fill it when the boat was on the trailer and it took 30 minutes to put in a full tank b/c I had to trickle it in and it still stopped a bunch of times. I have checked the metal mesh fuel air vent filter on the port side and it is clean. It is almost impossible to get boat to take on fuel at the slowest speed possible and seems worse when boat is in water. I love the boat but this does not seem right. Is this a known issue for this model or any tricks out there to address this issue? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 2018 R7 Surf gas filling issue

Post by Krob1114 »

crabtn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:11 pm I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2018 R7 Surf and it is extremely hard to fill the gas tank. I tried it on the water at three different fuel docks with the same result. It barely trickles in before gas comes back up. I then tried to fill it when the boat was on the trailer and it took 30 minutes to put in a full tank b/c I had to trickle it in and it still stopped a bunch of times. I have checked the metal mesh fuel air vent filter on the port side and it is clean. It is almost impossible to get boat to take on fuel at the slowest speed possible and seems worse when boat is in water. I love the boat but this does not seem right. Is this a known issue for this model or any tricks out there to address this issue? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Welcome. I've read most the posts here and don't remember seeing that issure. I hope someone here can help you.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

If you have your manual, there is a secion about the fuel system and filling. The new boats (my 2014 does also) have a fuel tank similar to a car with a carbon filter and all. It's a closed tank, not like the older / simple fuel tanks with just a pickup and a vent. Every now and then mine will get sensitive, I just wait a minute and continue filling with no problems. If the below doesn't help, there is a "spitback" valve in line with the fuel fill hose that might be defective.

From my Manual:
Troubleshooting
New tank is hard to fill / nozzle keeps shutting
off:
This is called the “Green Tank Effect.” With a new
tank that has never seen fuel before, you must let
the internal tank volume become completely
filled with the fuel vapor, very similar to what
occurs in non-diurnal tanks currently. The
difference is now you do not get the huge amount
of spitback; instead the nozzle just shuts off.
When filling a tank for the first time, the fuel vapor
expands and builds back pressure, shutting the
inlet check valve and causing the nozzle to shut
off.
To eliminate this problem, add a few gallons to
the tank very slowly and let sit for several
minutes. Then proceed with normal filling.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us crabtn..

That’s good information posted above. Hopefully you only have to go through this once. If not then a marine technician needs to check it out.

Keep us posted.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
crabtn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crabtn »

Still having filling fuel issues on the water. Thanks for the great info “billk2623” but did not work plus my boat is a 2018 so it is not a new tank tanking fuel for first time. I firmly believe it has something to do with a venting issue but unable to determine if 2018 R7 vent lines are integrated with the fuel line (run in parallel) or are on opposite side of boat. Did find a vent on Port side and removed metal mesh screen and all was perfectly clean. Unfortunately I will have to tow the boat all the way back to Cobalt dealer who told me before they had no issue putting in fuel when boat was on trailer (even though they had to go very very slow). I feel like it is something simple but can’t determine what it is that is causing the issue.