Best Interior and exterior cleaning methods

(AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, MS, SC, TN)
Henry39
Ensign
Ensign

Best Interior and exterior cleaning methods

Post by Henry39 »

Recently upgraded from a 2000 model 252 to a 2019 R7 surf. When cleaning my old boat I used whatever that would get the dirt and spots off the boat. Looking for recommendations of good cleaning solutions that preserve the wax and finish of the boats interior and exterior. Please let me know your tricks.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Best Interior and exterior cleaning methods

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us H39.

Lots of information on the site regarding cleaning products. Feel free to search some of the recommendations.

On that note, Hot sauce (or some type of vinegar solution) works wonders on a wipe down after pulling your Cobalt out of the water.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Re: Best Interior and exterior cleaning methods

Post by billk2632 »

I would say I am pretty particular about my boats and cars - I generally keep things a long time and like to keep them in good condition. That said, here is what I use on my R5 and also had used on my previous SeaRay.

Interior
Vinyl Seats - Depending on how big of a cleaning I am doing I either use a little Dawn with water or a vinyl cleaner like Starbrite Ultimate Vinyl Clean. After using the cleaner I rinse with clean water, then apply 303 Vinyl Protectant. I do this maybe twice a season, in between I just wipe down the seats with a damp cloth. DO NOT use anything with bleach or magic erasers on your seats. I use Spray 9 occasionally for tough spots. Also, keep suntan lotion - especially the spray stuff off your seats best you can - we always sit on towels when we are in the sun, swimming and using suntan lotion. I forget the chemical in most sunscreens, but it reacts with iron in the water and leaves brown rust looking stains on vinyl (and white t-shirts!).

Other surfaces - fiberglass, dash, glass, stainless steel.
If it is dirty, remove the snap in carpets and use either Spray 9 or a non skid cleaner on the floors (I like Starbrite Non Skid Cleaner). Scrub with a brush and rinse. For light cleaning I like the spray detailers like 303 Speed Detailer - it can be used on fiberglass, the vinyl dash, glass and stainless steel. Leaves fiberglass, glass and stainless looking like it was just waxed - it's my goto cleaner / touch up.

Snap in carpent / vinyl weave
Once a year I take it all out (I have vinyl weave), lay it out in the driveway and clean it with Dawn, a brush and lots of water.

Exterior
I don't want to start up a waxing thread, everyone has their own products and methods, but this is what I do - FYI my Cobalt is black.
Washing - Just your favorite boat soap -- I like Orpine Wash & Wax
Once a year - in fall before I put the boat away - Wax, Meguiars Marine Cleaner Wax followed by Meguiars Flagship Wax.
Throughout the season every month or so - Mequiars Spray Wax - I spray it on wet after a wash. Basically a quick wax.
Othertimes to remove water spots when giving a wipdown after use - 303 Speed Detailer.

I have a pretty good Random DA polisher.
I like the Mequiars waxes/polishes - just my opinion, I have tried a lot of different products.
I like Starbrite Cleaners - again just my opinion, there are lots of good products out there.
My 3 favorite goto most use things are 303 Spray Detailer, 303 Vinyl Protectant and Spray 9.

All this might sound like a lot, but I don't do this every week, over the course of a season. A lot of times when I am by myself, I'll just anchor somewhere, sip a beer, listen to music and clean the inside of the boat. I just enjoy keeping my shiny black Cobalt looking good! Once the boat is clean, it does not take a lot to maintain it.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!