Not a bow thruster, thoughts?

Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Not a bow thruster, thoughts?

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I always look at boats for sale if for nothing else to see if any modifications would make sense on my boat. Well I've never seen this....

On a 2021 R7, wonder how well this works....I see newer wakeboard boats with stern thrusters all the time, seems if you had an I/O it would best in the bow, just a little hard to do after the boat is built. Assuming this serves no other purpose than docking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Not a bow thruster, thoughts?

Post by Titaniumboy »

That is interesting. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

https://sideshift.com/
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

There must be a decent size market for these men though I've never seen one, would be fun to try it out for sure.
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

While interesting, I somewhat fail to see the point. If I'm going to lose tracking while docking, it's the bow of my boat that goes off course and where id appreciate a thruster. The stern is mostly fairly easy to kick sideways when caught in the wind.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:50 am While interesting, I somewhat fail to see the point. If I'm going to lose tracking while docking, it's the bow of my boat that goes off course and where id appreciate a thruster. The stern is mostly fairly easy to kick sideways when caught in the wind.
I agree, what's the point of having it in the stern. Reminds of the new ford feature that will back up your truck to your trailer. I'm hoping that was just ford techs saying "hey look what we can do" and not a requested feature 😳 from customers.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Haha, I'd take that back up feature on the Ford! Don't "need" it, but Id take it
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:55 pm Haha, I'd take that back up feature on the Ford! Don't "need" it, but Id take it
It's a lot of work to setup, it came with my truck and didn't realize you need to program each trailer and/or have another cable with sensors placed on the trailer. I have the sensors for sale if anyone wants them, lol.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:50 am While interesting, I somewhat fail to see the point. If I'm going to lose tracking while docking, it's the bow of my boat that goes off course and where id appreciate a thruster. The stern is mostly fairly easy to kick sideways when caught in the wind.
My thoughts exactly, you already have control back there...