anchor chain

Kate
Captain
Captain

anchor chain

Post by Kate »

Any tips on how to mark 10' segments on an anchor chain? Something that won't snag in the windlass. Am having a hard time figuring out length of chain to water depth.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Re: anchor chain

Post by billk2632 »

I also have an all chain / windlass setup. I got colored zip ties - 1 at 10', 2 at 20', 3 at 30' and so on. The zip ties go through my windlass just fine.
I have seen people use paint and just paint a section every 10-20ft, but over time the paint wears off and just looks crappy. There are also kits that have colored inserts that fit in the chain links. For me the zip ties work great, mine are different colors, and it's simple - I usually anchor for a few hours, 10-15ft of water and calm conditions, so 30ft - 40ft of chain works fine. Plus if one of the zip ties breaks off (haven't yet) I have a whole bag of replacements that I spent $5 on, not $50 for the fancy link inserts.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Colored zip ties are pretty easy and last about as long as paint, but are easier and cheaper to replace than repainting for small boats. One reason I can think of not to do zip ties is if you handle the chain under tension by hand. I've also heard of people weaving colored line through the chain at intervals, which holds up well and is very easy to see, but requires a bit more work up front.

I gave up painting anchor chain during Covid when I couldn't find enough tiny guys to come and work on my chain anymore:
marking chain navy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
FirstStar
Commander
Commander

Post by FirstStar »

I'm in the paint camp. Sure it wears off but it's either in the water or the anchor locker so I don't see it.
2021 Cobalt R5 6.2 380
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

There was a recent post of a new member painting links of the chain red and blue.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Thanks for all of the tips.

For the zip tie solution. Does it look like this? (I have a very tight pulpit/windlass set up. And am concerned that even that small bump in the ties will bollix something up.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

I don't have a picture - I can get one tomorrow. But, no I didn't do it like that, I put one zip tie per link, so at 10ft 1 link, 20ft 2 links, 30ft 3 and so on. My zip ties are on the sides of the link not the ends like that picture - not saying that picture is wrong. I have the Lewmar windlass mounted in the anchor locker (R5) that uses 1/4" chain and I have had no issues with the zip ties feeding through the windlass.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

b: Thanks for the explanation. I have a similar set up, so might try your method.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Here is a picture of mine:
IMG_0742.jpeg
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

b: Thanks for the pic. We have the same windlass. Looks like you put all the squares of the zip ties to the outside. Is that correct? If I understand your method, in that pic you're at 30'. Is that right?

I'm going to use your method. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Yes I put the squares on the outside so they don’t hit going through the windless, but they seem to move and don’t cause a problem - yes it is at 30’ in the picture. I put them on this spring (bought the boat last fall) - we anchor every weekend, sometimes more than once and have had no problems at all. To me just seems like a cheap simple way to mark the chain.
Here is another pic with 40’ out, that rope is my simple snubber to take strain off the windlass and keeps the chain from me making noise as the boat rocks around, it’s jus a 4’ 3 strand rope with a loop on each end - loop it around the chain and the cleat and let a little more chain out so the snubber is tight and the chain has some slack in it. For a few hours in light conditions it works great.
IMG_0741.jpeg
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

b: Thanks for the snubber pic. Can't do that. It takes too many "ballerina" moves to get to/from the bow. And in my typical anchor conditions, don't really need it.

Again, thanks for all of the zip tie tips.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Haha Ballerina moves. Agree in light conditions a snubber is not really necessary. Your welcome on the zip ties, I think you find they work really well and are cheap!
MNStCroix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MNStCroix »

This summer we painted our anchor chain every 5 ft in a red, white, blue pattern for 50 of the 75 or so feet of rode that came with the boat.
We used some industrial strength spray paint that hopefully will last 5 years. Yes over time it will wear away but so long as the person running the windlass can see any color it makes anchoring so much easier.
Minneapolis, MN
2004 Glastron GX 195 (sold)
2019 Chaparral 21H20 OB (sold)
2023 Cobalt R8 Surf
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

". . . we painted our anchor chain . . ."

That's what I ended up doing. (Shh, don't tell billk.)