2 questions on lighting

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

2 questions on lighting

Post by sailor55330 »

I think this has been asked before, but the search bar is not my friend-

Has anyone changed the interior lights on an R3/5/7? I have the courtesy lights, but would really prefer them to be red, not night-vision destroying white. I think I remember a thread where someone talked about it. I know it would involve changing the lights, but how much of a pain is it. Not afraind of a little wiring or contorting, but I'm not looking for a 2 day project.

Second question---dash lights. The dimmer only works on the gauges, but not on the LCD readouts just below---the factory displays you can configure such as trim, gph, speed, rpm. They are stupid bright to the point that at night, it makes boating unsafe as it destroys the night vision. Seriously, I could read a map by the light they emit. My solution so far has been to put a towel on the dash and rely on my chartplotter and gauges, but it feels stupid to put a beach towel over the dash lights.

Does anyone have a better solution or can a dimmer be wired in?
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Re: 2 questions on lighting

Post by Lifelongbtr »

What year? I like the interior R/G/B rope light option, it's indirect, changes color, and dimmable. Came factory that way but it looks very easy to install after the fact.
lghtspeedz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: 2 questions on lighting

Post by lghtspeedz »

sailor55330 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:24 pm I think this has been asked before, but the search bar is not my friend-

Has anyone changed the interior lights on an R3/5/7? I have the courtesy lights, but would really prefer them to be red, not night-vision destroying white. I think I remember a thread where someone talked about it. I know it would involve changing the lights, but how much of a pain is it. Not afraind of a little wiring or contorting, but I'm not looking for a 2 day project.

Second question---dash lights. The dimmer only works on the gauges, but not on the LCD readouts just below---the factory displays you can configure such as trim, gph, speed, rpm. They are stupid bright to the point that at night, it makes boating unsafe as it destroys the night vision. Seriously, I could read a map by the light they emit. My solution so far has been to put a towel on the dash and rely on my chartplotter and gauges, but it feels stupid to put a beach towel over the dash lights.

Does anyone have a better solution or can a dimmer be wired in?
Did you ever figure out the gauge backlights? I have the same setup and noticed the same thing at night. I believe I pressed and held the two buttons on the gauges and the setup screen opened. Embedded in there are some options to control the contrast AND backlight for those LCD’s. I had to dial it way, way down. I want to say like 5%. You have to adjust both screens independently too. Once I did this it was much easier to navigate at night.
2015 Cobalt R7- Navy w/ Yellow Stripe and VP V8-380HP
2014 Stingray 225LR - Red with Mercruiser 5.0 260hp (FOR SALE!)