Where to set dual battery switch

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Shawneetom
Ensign
Ensign

Where to set dual battery switch

Post by Shawneetom »

New to the forum and have found some great information here. I have a 2000 292 with twin 5.0 GI and dual battery switches. How should you set the switches to optimize battery life. I have heard conflicting information, so wanted to check here. Thx
2000 292 twin 5.0 GI

Happy Festivus
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Where to set dual battery switch

Post by tgrace98 »

It all depends on how you use them, what you draw from them and how your setup is. I have your basic stereo system with 6 speakers. Then I have 2 identical batteries. So I always run on 1 or 2 depending on which battery I want to use and just use the other as a reserve.

On my old boat I had a pretty large stereo system. So I had a regular starter battery connected to 1 to start the boat. Then 2 had 2 deep cycle RV batteries inline that I used to only run the stereo. So I would always start and run the boat on 1. Then when I coved out and wanted to listen to music I would turn the boat to accessory and switch the switch over to 2.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Shawneetom wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 am New to the forum and have found some great information here. I have a 2000 292 with twin 5.0 GI and dual battery switches. How should you set the switches to optimize battery life. I have heard conflicting information, so wanted to check here. Thx
Welcome Shawn.

Twin engine boats are nice as with dual switches you can run battery’s to each.
I run 1 to port and 2 starboard. If I’m anchored for awhile I turn 2 off as my stero is primarily accessories switched left key or port system.

Batteries in all position can work but I use that in the event of slow cranking if 1 battery is battery is weak from usage.

Do not switch off when running.

So off you go to the new members section as we want you to do a formal introduction with pictures as your Cobalt brothers and sisters look forward to welcoming you!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
MikeBo
Commander
Commander

Post by MikeBo »

I run mine on all, unless in a cove. Then I move to one or the other to have a backup. From one 2000 292 owner to another..let’s see some pics.

Welcome from Table Rock Lake
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.

Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
bdlarkin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bdlarkin »

Old thread, but I just saw it.

I run one engine on 1 and the other on 2 and i "randomly" assign which engine to which battery. When it was time to replace batteries I replaced them at the same time anyway.