2013 Cobalt R5 Purchasing Question

sixgun95
Ensign
Ensign

2013 Cobalt R5 Purchasing Question

Post by sixgun95 »

Hi - New here and looking at Cobalt boats, bowrider specifically. How is price on this? What would be a good deal?

2013 Cobalt R5 - 170hrs, Volvo 320, black hull, asking price is $79,900

My search has just begun and found this one, size is perfect.

Thanks.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2013 Cobalt R5 Purchasing Question

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us sg95…

Does it come with a trailer? Fresh Or saltwater ?
Not a bad price overall depending on options installed. You may have a little wiggle room being that’s it’s the end of the season for many locations.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

In the beginning of 2021 I paid $85K for a 2017 R5 WSS with 113 hours with a 350HP Mercruiser including trailer

A 2013 for 80K is WAY too high.

And no way I would ever buy a boat with a black hull.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
sixgun95
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sixgun95 »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:11 pm So glad you found us sg95…

Not a bad price overall depending on options installed. You may have a little wiggle room being that’s it’s the end of the season for many locations.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

Thanks! It comes with a 3-axle trailer, one owner boat, fresh water use in E TN.
sixgun95
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sixgun95 »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:28 pm In the beginning of 2021 I paid $85K for a 2017 R5 WSS with 113 hours with a 350HP Mercruiser including trailer

A 2013 for 80K is WAY too high.

And no way I would ever buy a boat with a black hull.

With a 3-axle trailer, where should the price be? Why no black? I think it looks sharp, but never had a black boat.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

sixgun95 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:04 pm

With a 3-axle trailer, where should the price be? Why no black? I think it looks sharp, but never had a black boat.
Use NADA(JP Power). You get pretty close to what you should be paying.

And let me guess...this is a dealer asking this much? Try to stick with private party boats.

https://www.jdpower.com/boats

My first question is why there is a 3 axle trailer on an R5? Definitely not needed and 3 axle trailers are a PITA.

Black boats(dark boats) show every little water spot, scratch and scuff.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
sixgun95
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sixgun95 »

Bruceb58, your insight is much appreciated!
Sumgai
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sumgai »

You will know if it is worthy of being a premium-priced boat AFTER your SURVEYOR gives you his report on the condition of the boat after his tests. He will water test it by running it, he will moisture test it (to make sure the interior flotation foam is not waterlogged), he will test every operating system, he will test every instrument, he will check the fresh water/waste system, he will heat sensor video the motor running to see any variation in hotspots of the cylinders, he will pressure test the cylinder PSI's to be in spec. He MUST run a camera up the exhaust manifolds/risers to check for rot......and then he will give you a report "on this day this TEN YEAR-OLD BOAT had the following issues."

And day after the survey, or on date of purchase, the 10 year-old boat will present you with another gotcha. And by the time you get it on the water in the 2024 boating season it will be an eleven year-old boat.

Those risers could get a rise out of you:
And about that black hull: "His response was "I'll never buy another colored hull".
'22 Cobalt R4 OB
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

sixgun95 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:01 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:11 pm So glad you found us sg95…

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

Thanks! It comes with a 3-axle trailer, one owner boat, fresh water use in E TN.
Roger that.

This 2013 boat has an MSRP of close to $90k new. Most dealers will sell for roughly a 20% discount off of new so the original owner probably purchased her for somewhere around $75k. But this was PRECOVID pricing.

After Covid, everything changed with what I call the GREAT RESET. As you well know, prices on tangible products and big ticket items like Real Estate, Vehicles & Aircraft, and even boats skyrocketed as inflation soared and the supply chain was greatly constrained. We sold our 2005 loaded to the hilt 263 for north of $50k this year after purchasing it 7 years earlier for $40kish. (we had offers for much higher during the height of the pandemic but were just not ready to sell). When was the last time you MADE money on a boat after seven years of use.

This 2013 R5 being ten years old should have roughly 500 hours on it (50 hours per year is normal use). 166 hours is incredibly low so she will probably be in great shape. I'm guessing this is the boat you are researching. If it is then remember Dealers are in it to make money but they also have a reputation to uphold. We have purchased used from both Dealer's and Private Party sellers and each have their pros and cons. A little research on either one is prudent but don't just exclude one or the other based upon one person's opinion. My guess is this particular boat will sell for about $10-12k less based upon current market conditions; the fact that it is not the 420 HP VP or 425 HP Merc big block engine; no wake tower; and the time of year (end of season). A survey will tell you quite a bit and is highly recommended to save yourself some money and pain in the long run. Average retail on this boat is about $60k based upon a rough JD Power NADA estimate here. A 166 hour boat in freshwater with one owner normally tends to be better than average retail. Again a survey is always your best bet. Sometimes Dealers will even schedule one for you.

We have owned both light and dark hull boats. Our family ALWAYS got more compliments on the dark hull beauties....BUT they will fade quicker over time and require constant buffing to keep their shine. White hull boats constantly look clean and do not require the meticulous upkeep to stay shiny. They will not "pop" as much as a dark hulled boat on the water as far as looks go so pick your poison. No different than cars.

And yes, a triple axle trailer is overkill for this boat and is really more of a liability than an asset. Negotiate a lower price with a double axle trailer.

Hope this helps.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sixgun95
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sixgun95 »

Yes, that is the boat. Fantastic information and thank you for sharing all of that. It would be docked without a cover, fading didn't occur to me.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

The triple axle trailer thing does feel a bit odd - nobody adds extra axles and tires that aren't needed just to incur extra cost. Was the trailer originally for a different boat? I believe the Volvo 320 is a very good engine, and it's the same 5.7L V8 block as the 225 and 300. The next step up is the 380, which is a 6L block but weighs about the same. Don't expect to be able to quite reach 50mph with the 320.

Regarding price, "retail" on my 2015 Cobalt 210 was about $80k with trailer, and about 25% off retail for actual purchase price. I agree with Aslan in that you should be able to find a nice R5 about 10 years old in good shape with reasonably low hours but no wakeboard tower for less - maybe $70k? Keep in mind a current model year R6 starts at $155k, and the old boat may be less modern but may also be better construction. If it's the right boat for you (e.g., super clean, checks all the boxes), I wouldn't feel bad about paying more than NADA estimates.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Sumgai
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sumgai »

How to anchor a 3 axle trailer:
Buying now, after the Covid gold rush:

DO contact your local Cobalt dealer and sit down with a rep and price out a new build. In addition to the percentage off the website prices a Cobalt dealer can extend (sizeable) even Cobalt is trying to clear out existing new boats with $15K straight from the factory REBATE (good until Oct 15, 2023.

I didn't do that. After the covid gold rush Cobalt overbuilt, dealers have overbuilts sitting on the lots and dealers like to move items which cost them monthly inventory fees just sitting around. So I found a 2022 New in showroom R4 in June 2023, for $60k OFF the build sheet price. $99,900 WITH 2 axle trailer. ALL the warranties for the boat and the motor new and starting the day I bought it. Why buy an immediate cash on the barrel head date with a mechanic for a used boat repair when the deals are on the new ones?

All the boat manufacturers kept overbuilding through 2023, so there are more of those deals on dealer lots, and even Cobalt's $15k rebate current offer is not from a maker with an overdemand for their product.

But this deep discount party won't last: Some makers saw the storm clouds approaching as early as the start of the boat season, and have cut production. When the number of new ones production is cut, there will be fewer to deep discount:
Good Hunting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'22 Cobalt R4 OB
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I sold my flawless 2014 R5 with 200hrs on a VP380 this summer for 85k without a trailer. Mine was white without a tower.
LakeLife77
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LakeLife77 »

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:03 am I sold my flawless 2014 R5 with 200hrs on a VP380 this summer for 85k without a trailer. Mine was white without a tower.
This makes me feel good about our 2014 R5 with VP 380 w 199 hours and optioned very well. Bought it at the end of '21 for $84k
Full Black hull. I did ceramic coat the black at the begining of the season, and then use Boat Juice on it every chance I get. The Black sure does make it stand out and helps hide the dreaded ring arounf the hull after sitting in the lake.
2000 Chris-Craft BR VP 5.0 MPI
2014 Cobalt R5 VP 380
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

We had an R7 built and chose a black hull and we much prefer this as opposed to our old light colored boat. No more work than if you keep up on your wash and preventive cosmetic work. And yes you don’t see the ring around the hull. Everyone has different tastes that why there are so many color combinations. That was the most difficult decision we needed to make on our build. If you have an opportunity to visit the factory go for the tour very impressive.