Hydraulic rams for engine hatch

(190 through 360)
Fentonsr
Ensign
Ensign

Hydraulic rams for engine hatch

Post by Fentonsr »

I own a 2002 262 with arch. Mercruiser 496 mag HO. When I bought the boat the rams to open the engine hatch worked pitifully slow. I topped off the fluid and it was better, but it wouldnt go back down. It took 45 minutes to close. It appears someone has either wired or incorrectly installed the lines on the pump. If I push the trim tab switches down the hatch closes quicker. Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the pump and connections. Thanks
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hydraulic rams for engine hatch

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us Fsr….

The engine hatch speed has always been slow while raising IMHO compared to other boats I’ve owned because they use the Bennett trim tab reservoir pump.

How did you top off the reservoir? The correct way is to raise the hatch; position the prop rod to hold the hatch up; lower the rams; then fill the reservoir. If you overfill, the fluid will run out the small holes in the stainless ram rod when lowered. Do these holes look unblocked allowing air to escape?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Fentonsr
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Hydraulic rams for engine hatch

Post by Fentonsr »

Thanks for the reply. Thats the exact procedure I used to top up the pump. I see someone has been fiddling and with the wiring and I suspect the lines. The engine had been removed once also. Ill keep searching for a diagram of the Bennet system with trim tabs.