Top cobalt competition??

Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Top cobalt competition??

Post by Norris_Boating »

Looking for opinions on the top 2-3 competitors for cobalt in the 25-27 ft range for lakes.
Had a buddy looking at the new Regal LS6/LS9 surf, pretty sharp boats.

What does everyone think about who would be the runner up for cobalt?
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Top cobalt competition??

Post by jhnmdahl »

R6 is really the one that comes to mind. Regal does make a pretty nice boat, and the gap in quality and materials may not be as big as it was ten or twenty years ago. Formula, Chaparral, Bryant all make good boats too.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Sumgai
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sumgai »

"Had a buddy looking at the new Regal LS6/LS9 surf, pretty sharp boats."

Be careful you don't cut yourself!
"Given otherwise exceptional attention to detail, storage revealed exposed wiring that could be damaged when loading gear, and exposed screw threads partially covered in caulk waiting to snag a bare hand."
2022 Regal LS6 Surf 2.0
https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/2022-r ... 6-surf-20/
'22 Cobalt R4 OB
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Sumgai wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:27 am "Had a buddy looking at the new Regal LS6/LS9 surf, pretty sharp boats."

Be careful you don't cut yourself!
"Given otherwise exceptional attention to detail, storage revealed exposed wiring that could be damaged when loading gear, and exposed screw threads partially covered in caulk waiting to snag a bare hand."
2022 Regal LS6 Surf 2.0
https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/2022-r ... 6-surf-20/
roughly 100K less I can replace/trim a few screws and zip ties some wires
CS23
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I would put Formula up there but I don't think they have put too much attention in their 240 or 270. Looks like the same boat from 10 years ago. Think most of their attention has been around the 30ish or larger segment.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I just sold our beloved R5. When we decide to get back into boating I will be looking for another R5 or even a R7 but I will not be purchasing an R6 or R8. I don’t like the lines on them and the build quality. IMO Malibu ruined Cobalt.. I will also be looking at a Formula or possibly Chaparral. I would consider Fomula to be one of the top boats now.
MisterMR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MisterMR »

I looked at the 2023 LS6 when recently shopping. It was the closest runner-up to the R6 which I eventually ordered. There was a noticeable margin in the feeling of quality and solidity in things like the storage hatches and seating surfaces. It was definitely a high-end boat, but there were only one or two areas where we felt the R6 didn't come out on top.

Having said all of that, given the price differential, it was a close race.
2024 R6 (Volvo V8-380CE)
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

We recently lightly shopped <30ft Regals. Our dealership handles both Regal and Cobalt. Sales person commented that Regal had closed the gap for fit/finish/design with Cobalt, saying Cobalt has dropped and Regal elevated. We agree. Fit/finish/seating are right there. Regal has a drop step that's easier to use on the swim platform (heresy-I know) and the swim platforms themselves are massive while Cobalt's are shrinking. We're cove people and they're checking all the boxes.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Good information GW
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Zuul
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zuul »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:00 am R6 is really the one that comes to mind. Regal does make a pretty nice boat, and the gap in quality and materials may not be as big as it was ten or twenty years ago. Formula, Chaparral, Bryant all make good boats too.
Bryant is out of the game, so only an option if shopping used.
2019 R7
VP 380hp
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:55 pm I would put Formula up there but I don't think they have put too much attention in their 240 or 270. Looks like the same boat from 10 years ago. Think most of their attention has been around the 30ish or larger segment.

It's interesting that Formula focuses so little attention on their models under 30'. I guess that must mean the profit margins are better on the larger boats.

I actually prefer Formula's designs from their 290BR and up against comparable Cobalt models. I like their layouts better and their much larger swim platforms than Cobalts. Am I allowed to say that here? :shock: :lol:
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee