2020 Cobalt SC25 Bowrider - 100 Hour Review, Observations & Ratings

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
anothershotinthehead
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: 2020 Cobalt SC25 Bowrider - 100 Hour Review, Observations & Ratings

Post by anothershotinthehead »

@marco4ever - what did you end up doing with the rear seat holding water and not draining? I've noticed mine is doing the same thing. When you open and close it you can hear the water sloshing around. I noticed there are two very small "drain" holes in the forward most corners of the rear seat (as you said, they drain into the rear of the boat onto the floor) but they clearly aren't getting the job done.
"Another Shot in the Head"
Navy, Red and White 25SC
Metedeconk River & Northern Barnegat Bay
Captain Tim
anothershotinthehead
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

@marco4ever did you ever fix the rear seat water draining issue? I noticed I have the same problem. When you open/close the rear seat/sunpad area you can hear the water sloshing around. There are two very small drain holes on the bottom, toward the bow but they drain into the boat - and they don't work obviously. What did you do to address this?
Navy, Red and White 25SC
Captain Tim
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

Yes Sir. Did a couple of things. 1st - carefully using a slightly larger drill bit I increased the size of the whole. 2nd thing I did was to use a piece of weed-wacker line to push in and twirl it around to help clean out the general area of the hole at both ends. My guess is that shards of fiberglass blocks the water. That seemed to do the trick, however, I am ready to add a 3rd hole between the two of them to provide additional drainage. Will advise after the next storm passes by.

Cheers
K
anothershotinthehead
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

@Marco I just had the dealer work on it. They made the two drain holes a bit larger and put another in the middle. Didn't have it back long enough to see how its gonna work, boat is away for winter, will report back in spring.

I like the 30SC with the outboards personally. But you couldn't go wrong with either.

on the water....cruisin....#onlyacobalt
Navy, Red and White 25SC
Captain Tim
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

If you have easy access to your boat, one thing I would strongly recommend is to open up your seats and check the screws and washers that hold the rubber seat bumps on the bottom. More than a few newer Cobalt Owners have commented over cocktails on the sandbar that the washers/screws rusted quickly and left stains on the underneath side of the cushions, ski locker and anchor locker. Maybe a quick spray and/or replacement can prevent the staining.

Cheers.

KJ
anothershotinthehead
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

jusmakinit wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 pm I have a 2019 25SC in cape coral. Issues to date:
Front option jump seats fall out when running - waiting on a response
Lamination loose in cockpit floor. Sounds like sticky floor. - waiting for a response. Dealer recommended sending boat back to cobalt! Ugh!
Broken bushings on swim step - parts ordered months ago
Stbd side front seat shock pulled out of fiberglass - new seat ordered months ago, just arrived
Rusty screws in swim step area - maintenance item.
Fading of gray swim platform, and I am indoor stored - non warranty issue according to cobalt
Rockford Fosgate stereo helm unit and main unit replaced under warranty. Both failed separate times.
I also list to port. Annoying because trim only handles part of it with full tab down.
I added a $6 vent and hose in my fw tank to drain the overfill out the transom not in the storage compartment.
I had to add thru bolts on windlass in order to give it support.
Bimini top rattles. Added insulating washers to keep it silent
Windlass did not have hoop to prevent anchor to flip up - added under warranty.

Overall, we love the boat, but when buying quality, these issues should not be there. My 17 year old OceanHawk hasn't had this many issues since new.

Ride quality and fuel efficiency is awesome with suzuki 300, although I did have to re-prop it with 16 inch Prop.

Boat house has been good to deal with but response from cobalt has been very slow...
@jusmakinit

2 similar issues.

I also had the "sticky floor", or a soft spot as mine felt. Dealer addressed it last year, had their fiberglass guy drill few holes in the floor and squeeze epoxy into the floor. It seemed to fix it, but they made a mess of my floor, you can see the holes and it looks like they used a can of spray paint to try and clean it up. I don't use the carpet that came with the boat, and now I'm leaning toward installing some version of soft flooring.

My swim platform is red and has oxidized on the top something awful, almost looks white. Dealer is talking to Cobalt on options.

Cheers!
Navy, Red and White 25SC
Captain Tim