A-Series Hydraulic Swim Platform Sensor

(A25, A28, A36, A40)
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

A-Series Hydraulic Swim Platform Sensor

Post by pchoate1 »

Hello, we just bought a 2010 A25 with the hydraulic swim platform. Whenever I am at idle or neutral, I get an alarm at the helm about every 45 seconds. At first I thought maybe it was oil pressure or water temperature but I have ruled both of them out. When adjusting the swim platform cams I noticed there was a sensor mounted in the platform and I am wondering if the sensor has gone bad and is where my alarm is coming from. Has anyone had this issue and been able to diagnose that sensor. Dealer says that sensor is no longer available and I would have to find an aftermarket sensor that would fit.
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Re: A-Series Hydraulic Swim Platform Sensor

Post by pchoate1 »

I sent this post over two weeks ago but nobody has responded yet. I was hoping somebody would have some input.
Does anybody know where the wires from the platform sensor comes through the transom? If I can find those wires, then I can find the connector for testing.
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

I would call Cobalt directly.
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I haven't heard of this problem, and don't have an A25 to poke around looking for the sensor or wiring harness. Cobalt will sometimes supply wiring diagrams for their boats to end users, and I've had decent luck calling them directly and asking about discontinued parts in the past (e.g., who did you source it from, how was it constructed). It sounds like you might end up having to do some disassembly anyway to get at the old sensor, but please do keep us posted on what you find out.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

I'm not saying it isn't there, but I haven't seen such a critter on my 2012. That might suggest they were problematic.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

I finally spoke with Cobalt, and they said that that sensor was only installed for a couple of years and then discontinued. The person I spoke with, was not able to tell me how the sensor affected the operation of the platform, but it would definitely not set an audible alarm. They basically told me not to worry about it, and if it failed, it would not affect operation.

I did finally figure out what was causing my alarm though, the factory installed ACR had failed, and was no longer providing a charge voltage to the house battery. As the house battery voltage got low, it would cause the ECG to trigger the MIL and set 4 fault codes. I used the Diacom program to connect and read the ECG.
1. SPN: 697 ECT Gauge Driver Fault FMI: 5 Temp Gauge Driver Voltage Low
2. SPN: 698 Oil Pressure Gauge Driver Fault FMI: 5 Oil Pressure Gauge Driver Voltage Low
3. SPN: 699 Trim Gauge Driver Fault FMI: 5 Trim Gauge Driver Voltage Low
4. SPN: 713 Low Drive Oil Level or Input Short to Ground or Open
FMI: 4 Voltage Low
After I charged the house battery and cleared the codes with the Diacom program, the alarm has not returned. I should have the new ACR installed this weekend and hopefully this will solve the charging problem.
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

Thank you to those who replied, and hopefully what I found will be helpful to someone else.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Before you blame the ACR, make sure you look at its ground. There should also be a fuse on the ground wire. Few years ago, I replaced an ACR that didn't need to be replaced and it was a bad ground wire that was actually my problem.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

Thank you for the heads up. The factory install did not use a fuse and goes directly to a ground post. Removing the ACR is going to be a PITA but when I get it out, I will check to see if there is a break in the ground wire before I replace the unit.
CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CobaltVet »

Where is the acr physically located?

I’ve been looking for mine, and I cannot seem to find it.

I’ve been needing to put my battery switch into the “both” position a lot- I’m not sure that it is working properly- it would help me trouble shoot to see how it’s set up. The dealer just says, it’s fine.
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

Location of my ACR is under the port mid-seat where the battery switch is. You have to remove the panel that the battery switch is mounted to. When you remove the panel, it reveals an opening to a hidden cavity area, and the ACR is mounted down and in that cavity area. Access is blind so you can only reach in and feel around for the wires and ACR. I used my phone to reach in and take pictures. My ACR was below the opening and towards the center of the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

When I get a chance I will take another picture to show exactly where it is.
CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CobaltVet »

Wow, what a convenient location!!! I can see why the dealer didn’t care to replace it or even check it out!

More pics would be great. Thank you!
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

Should probably start a new post that is specific to the ACR. But for now here are some more pictures. The ACR is mounted on the backside of this panel where my finger is pointing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pchoate1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by pchoate1 »

Continuing this post over on the ACR post.
viewtopic.php?p=115791#p115791