Long Time Boater - 1st Cobalt Boat

Jimmy Buoy
Ensign
Ensign

Long Time Boater - 1st Cobalt Boat

Post by Jimmy Buoy »

Hey everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been boating for over 35yrs and am now on my 7th boat and a first - a beautiful 2003 Cobalt 293 with twin 5.0 Volvo GXi Dual Props. My wife and I have only had this boat in the water for the sea-trial then it was time to get her into storage while there were spots left! Looking forward to spring and getting to know her.

I've always done my own work on boats as much as possible and have quite a range of experience. Hopefully I will be able to provide some helpful input to other Cobatchat members as questions arise. I've already got some questions about this Cobalt but I'll post those at a later time.
IMG_4288.jpeg
tempImage7qMByV.gif
IMG_4345.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Cobalt 293
Twin 5.0 GXi Volvo Penta 270 Hp
With Volvo DPSM Drives
Southern Lake Huron
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Long Time Boater - 1st Cobalt Boat

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us JB! We welcome your boating experience my friend.

Great boat you got there. Love the pics too. Classic color combo.

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

That boat looks like a lot of fun Jimmy, where do you boat?
Jimmy Buoy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jimmy Buoy »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:21 pm .
So glad you found us JB! We welcome your boating experience my friend.

Great boat you got there. Love the pics too. Classic color combo.

And welcome aboard mate.

Thanks Aslan!

I had never considered a Cobalt only since I've never seen one for sale in my area. Once seeing the 293 listed got me very interested as it looked incredible and it appeared to have a long list of options that I found quite attractive. I searched for info on the builder and again was so impressed with the build process (all glass/composite construction I like) and the quality of the materials used in Cobalt boats including the year of manufacture for this boat. The Sea-Trial sealed the deal! This boat rocks!! Compared to my previous boats (including a Formula 27PC) the Cobalt performed beyond expectations. Minimal bow rise to get on plane, quiet and quick with a solid ride even in a rough chop (20kt wind that day) plus a top speed breaking 50mph without feeling wrung out! Very quiet and composed at 30mph is where we'd usually cruise. Trimming the drives up a bit didn't cause porposing like my last boat experienced - so well mannered!

Obviously, I'm looking forward to spring!!
IMG_4439.jpeg
IMG_4438.jpeg
Last edited by Jimmy Buoy on Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2003 Cobalt 293
With Volvo DPSM Drives
Southern Lake Huron
Jimmy Buoy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jimmy Buoy »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:48 pm That boat looks like a lot of fun Jimmy, where do you boat?
Thanks Lifelong! Hopefully she will put the "pleasure" back in pleasure boating for me.

We boat either on the Southern end of Lake Huron or the Northern St. Clair River. If the wind is strong from the South it can whip the River up so we'll go boating in the Lake and if the wind is coming from the North, the Lake will get crazy and we can boat in the River. Either way, the water is usually clear and the most brilliant blue (but cold for me at least until mid July).
IMG_4434.jpeg
2003 Cobalt 293
With Volvo DPSM Drives
Southern Lake Huron
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Welcome to the family! Loved our 293 for 8 years. Drop me a PM with an email and I can send you several files on various systems on it.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
Jimmy Buoy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jimmy Buoy »

Holy Smokes wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:14 am Welcome to the family! Loved our 293 for 8 years. Drop me a PM with an email and I can send you several files on various systems on it.
That would be great - thanks! PM sent
2003 Cobalt 293
With Volvo DPSM Drives
Southern Lake Huron
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Jimmy Buoy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:25 pm
Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:48 pm That boat looks like a lot of fun Jimmy, where do you boat?
Thanks Lifelong! Hopefully she will put the "pleasure" back in pleasure boating for me.

We boat either on the Southern end of Lake Huron or the Northern St. Clair River. If the wind is strong from the South it can whip the River up so we'll go boating in the Lake and if the wind is coming from the North, the Lake will get crazy and we can boat in the River. Either way, the water is usually clear and the most brilliant blue (but cold for me at least until mid July).

IMG_4434.jpeg
That's awesome, you have options for the conditions!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Welcome. I think you'll be able to have a lot of questions answered here.
Especially if you're ready to spend more money. Is this the first boat with twins?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Jimmy Buoy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jimmy Buoy »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:10 am Welcome. I think you'll be able to have a lot of questions answered here.
Especially if you're ready to spend more money. Is this the first boat with twins?
Thanks for the welcome! I've had 8 boats over 35yrs ranging from a 12' aluminum with 5hp to the largest being a 2001 SeaRay 340 Amberjack with twin 8.1s (straight shaft drives). Sold the Amberjack 2yrs ago and got a Formula 27PC with twin 4.3/Bravo3 but it became more of a project boat than anticipated so after two years sold it. Also wanted something in better shape with more of an upscale feel. Thought I'd be sacrificing performance. Nope. This Cobalt outperforms the 27PC in every way. To be fair, 5.0GXIs vs 4.3MPI AND the Cobalt is about 2000lbs lighter I shouldnt be surprised but damn - The Cobalt is quicker to plane with less throttle, less bow rise, quieter, feels more planted, responds better to trimming the drives (the PC began to porpose with too much drive trim and had different responses at different speeds), has more than 10mph on the top end, and does all this without me working like a mad man to get the right mix of drive trim/tabs/throttles.
2003 Cobalt 293
With Volvo DPSM Drives
Southern Lake Huron