R4 surf water sports setup

Grandlaker4
Ensign
Ensign

R4 surf water sports setup

Post by Grandlaker4 »

New to wake surfing and bought a 2023 R4 surf. After several weekends trying we still can’t to get a surfable wave. It always is washed out and short. Has anyone had better success with this and have any advice?
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Re: R4 surf water sports setup

Post by dsthomas »

Are your surf gates deploying? Like you have looked over the edge and you can see them. We've had a few times when we forget to push surf left or surf right and we get that washed out wave. I'm wondering if maybe even though you have surf left or surf right engaged on the screen maybe the gate isn't deploying out? We have an R8S so not the same boat but we get a great wave, I'd imagine the R4 would be pretty close.

We do full ballast with 3 degrees on the outdrive and 11.5 mph and that gives us a really long nice wave with a great curl.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us GL4.

Most here have had success recently wake surfing behind the even numbered R series. The early adopter odd numbered R's had more issues.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Grandlaker4
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grandlaker4 »

Thanks for the replies. Boat is up at the lake so I will double check that gates are fully deploying this weekend. It seems that without a full load of people the wave is much better but still difficult to the push we need. I'll update once I get in the water and inspect the gates!
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

Does your boat have auto trim on the throttle? When we go into surf mode the trim goes to 53% when auto trim is on, as soon as the boat starts the trim drops to 5% washing out the wave. Not sure if this is an issue on the new R series surfs.
Also keep guests out of the bow and seated in the stern.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Rplong2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rplong2 »

Our R6 Surf makes a great wave. Unless your boat is full of people, fill all ballasts - it will give great push. We are generally empty in the bow so we go -5 degrees on the outdrive to help flatten the wave and find 10.8-11.5 mph is the best.
2018 Cobalt R3 (sold)
2022 Cobalt R6 Surf
hldr
Ensign
Ensign

Post by hldr »

so --- did this ever improve? anyone else comment on r4 surf quality?