R6 Surf Transom Tie Downs

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Ketamarine
Ensign
Ensign

R6 Surf Transom Tie Downs

Post by Ketamarine »

Hello all, new to this forum.
I recently purchased a 2023 R6 Surf. How is everyone using transom tie downs with the surf gate and trim tabs? With current set up, I am worried there will be too much stress put on the trim tab if go down to the designed trailer hook. The surf gate blocks ability to attach to the outside of the trailer fender.

I've always used transom straps in the past, and would assume they're still necessary. If there's newer information out there I'm all ears. Just surprised with all the thought Cobalt puts into their designs, I see something as simple as this quite a flaw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R6 Surf Transom Tie Downs

Post by ajcampen »

Yes, terrible set up. I can’t see any way to solve except for disconnecting the trim tab.

What does the dealer recommend?

Thanks

Andy
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Is there a gap between the boat and the surf gate? Seems like the only way would be to go out there to the outside of the trailer. Not ideal, I know my R7 Surf is tricky, there is a small cutout on the surf tab but unless it's on the trailer perfect it will put pressure on the surf tab.

I would look at other trailer brands too, one of the brands may of figured out a good way, or they have an option for this. Are the trim tabs in the same spot for non-surf boats?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Looks like there was space to move that trim tab a bit to the right - not sure why the guy bolting them on didn't see what we all seem to see...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us KM...and thanks for posting that pic. You definitely do not want to put stress on that aluminum tab. We shall mull this one over. Hopefully this challenge can be overcome with some member ingenuity.

In the meantime, welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:21 pm Looks like there was space to move that trim tab a bit to the right - not sure why the guy bolting them on didn't see what we all seem to see...
It looks like the angle that the hydraulic ram is on, it is already pretty tight at the top end. It might not install correctly if the tab was moved over (towards the centreline). I don't have a surf model but to be honest, when the dealer comes to haul my boat out for the season, I can't recall if he uses the tie downs.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

BobRae99 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 pm
jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:21 pm Looks like there was space to move that trim tab a bit to the right - not sure why the guy bolting them on didn't see what we all seem to see...
It looks like the angle that the hydraulic ram is on, it is already pretty tight at the top end. It might not install correctly if the tab was moved over (towards the centreline). I don't have a surf model but to be honest, when the dealer comes to haul my boat out for the season, I can't recall if he uses the tie downs.
Good eye. It gets crowded with the surf gate there too. I wonder about moving the tie down to the right of the trim tab? Not ideal, and there may not be the same reinforcement/backing in the boat to have it there, but that seems easy enough to change in production if Cobalt were so inclined.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Have a welder put an attach point further to the outside on your trailer
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:48 pm Have a welder put an attach point further to the outside on your trailer
this is what you need... we have an R8 surf and did the same.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:48 pm Have a welder put an attach point further to the outside on your trailer
Good idea. If the attachment on the trailer were on the outside of the red beam we see in the photo it might be close. I don't think I'd feel terrible about trimming back the outside edge of the trim tab just a bit if the tie-down strap still made just a little bit of contact.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I looked at other trailers, they tie down towards the outside, and some have the ratchet attached to the trailer higher up, and some are putting pressure on the tabs unfortunately, see below.

But ya, some geometry and a new attachment point. If the dealer sold you this trailer with the boat, I'd be asking them.