Thoughts on dark colors for bottom of boat

hldr
Ensign
Ensign

Thoughts on dark colors for bottom of boat

Post by hldr »

Placed a deposit for for a custom order R4S. Ive owned a cobalt 206 for 20 years and am moving up. Need to decide on color scheme. I will go with a white boat with black stripe (current boat is like this. However, considering a charcoal gray bottom or possibly black. Wife vetoed the ash gray color. Will have a black arch.

Never had a dark color hull bottom and am wondering how bad an idea it is in terms of long term ownership. Id hate to have it show scratches, bunk rub maks, waterline funk, water spots etc. My boat is is typically in the water for 3-10 days each outing. My cabin is remote and I don't have a lift.

Also - has anyone any experience with ceramic coat on gel coat? how good of an idea is this? Anything to make cleanup better or easier would be great.

I typically use 6.5inch fenders on my 206. What do yall use on the r series boats? Thinking one size larger might be better if storage is not an issue.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on dark colors for bottom of boat

Post by bruceb58 »

I would never own a dark color sided boat. Even one boat I had where dark blue went partially down the side got pretty faded and I had a cover that covered it when not using the boat!
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

My R5 is black/grey striping/white bottom and I really like it - it looks great, but shows everything - being stored indoors I am able to keep it looking good. If I could not keep it in fully enclosed dry storage, there is no way I would have a dark colored boat. As far bottom color, I like white but it shows stains. Black, no for the same reasons you mentioned - I keep my boat at a Cobalt dealer/marina. I see lots of different colors, black bottoms will fade like the sides. I would consider the grey bottom color. I personally like the light grey or tan with black striping and the dark grey bottom.
At the end of the day, some of the dark colors look good, but you can’t deny the extra maintenance - you can never go wrong white classic white and dark striping.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

I have a black on black R7 that we ordered that looks like the day we took delivery. However it does require attention I detail it in the spring and upkeep it thru out the season. It all depends on how much time you have to keep your boat clean. It spends the summer in a lake and there is no visible algae on it. Go for the black
hldr
Ensign
Ensign

Post by hldr »

any thoughts on ceramic coat vs wax? ive never wrapped my head around what happens when ceramic wears out or fails. does it have to be removed and reapplied or just add more? is it more like wax or clear coat?
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

I have a red bottom boat and white sides. I think it works really well for minimum maintenance, I hot sauce after each weekend use. I feel like white bottom would be more likely to show the waterline if you are leaving it in the water that long, dark bottoms I feel like would hide the waterline better. for the white sides, Small scratches/rubs get buffed out with fall waxing. Boat looks great like the day it was delivered.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

hldr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:26 pm any thoughts on ceramic coat vs wax? ive never wrapped my head around what happens when ceramic wears out or fails. does it have to be removed and reapplied or just add more? is it more like wax or clear coat?
I had a sales person try to sell me on the ceramic coat but it was pretty expensive, there are some threads on here about it. I personally decided that it wasn't worth it.

Here is a good thread on it.

viewtopic.php?t=6842
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Norris_Boating wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 am
hldr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:26 pm any thoughts on ceramic coat vs wax? ive never wrapped my head around what happens when ceramic wears out or fails. does it have to be removed and reapplied or just add more? is it more like wax or clear coat?
I had a sales person try to sell me on the ceramic coat but it was pretty expensive, there are some threads on here about it. I personally decided that it wasn't worth it.

Here is a good thread on it.

viewtopic.php?t=6842
We have an R8S with navy hull side and black boot stripe. We did the ceramic coating, we have had it on our last three boats. Never had an issue with it. In my opinion it's worth it, maybe not if you have a light color hull side. But if you have a dark color it will help cut down some on the daily maintenance. I was told should be reapplied every five years. I usually buy a new boat every four so I've never had to re-apply 🤪. But all of my boats looked the same the day I picked them up from the dealer on the day I sold them.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

We have Navy bottom and blue sides and have had no issues yet. Just finished our 5th year of ceramic coating. We'll address that this spring. 5 seasons of boating and it still looks brand new. We do have a covered lift and use the mooring cover so it's out of the sun and water most of the time.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

We ordered a black side/black bottom white boot stripe CS. We opted for the ceramic. We've had minor bumper rash twice from other peoples fenders at cove tie ups. Everything cleans/buffs out very easily each season. I drive a black truck as well. Seems like you buy into the extra cleaning for the look you like the best or not. I see white boats/red boats/black boats on the lake from spotless to looking like they'd been through a derby. Just depends on each owner and how he/she cares for their stuff in general. On our dock there's a one owner fifteen year old Chaparral bow rider that doesn't have one scratch and the dust barely settles on the thing. VERY conscientious cool owner who likes the upkeep as part of ownership like we do. Loads it with kids/people every weekend and it never ages a day. Three slips down there's a '22 Cobalt R8 on a lift that looks like ten miles of dirt road. She's rough. ALL scraped/gouged up/water spotted, lines all over the place. Moral to me is pick the color boat that makes you "want" to keep her pretty and makes your heart go pitter/pat.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"