R5 Factory tower no tower speakers

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
VPR5wss
Ensign
Ensign

R5 Factory tower no tower speakers

Post by VPR5wss »

Hi All,

I Have a 2018 R5WSS with elec folding wake tower, but it has no tower speakers.

i have noticed and found some speaker wire already ran within the tower and i am able to hook up my tower speakers but i cant seem to locate where it has been looped or hidden as it isnt near the Amp.

Assuming they run the wire but then loop it somewhere as there was no speaker option from factory, but would anyone happen to know where they loop/hide the end of those speaker wires running into the tower?

Plan is to install tower speakers myself and then run it to the factory amps but all dependant on me finding the end of the loop from the tower.

All answers appreciated !
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R5 Factory tower no tower speakers

Post by ajcampen »

I believe they come out the port side of the tower. So look at the base of the port tower. From there run them to a new amp. Call Samson sport to confirm. They made and ran the wire in the towers
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I have a manual 2021 folding tower. The tower comes prewired. Assuming they would be the same, on mine the left two channels came down through the port side. If you open the port seat where the battery switch is look up towards where the tower is mounted. Same for the right channels. There is a cover panel along the back of the cooler that you need to remove.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

There should be an access plate on one or both sides of the tower. Take that plate off and see if the wires reach down to there. That will at least point you to which side to look on. I have identical boat but its a 2017 but can't look at it until December.

EDIT: I had a look at my wiring diagram I got from Cobalt. There is a connection on the port side near the head that should have the port tower speakers. At the dash, there is a connection for the starboard speakers, It goes to an 8 pin connector at the amp.

I can send you the file if you send me a PM.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

bruceb58 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:11 pmI had a look at my wiring diagram I got from Cobalt.
Can you upload your wiring diagrams to the Technical Documents sub forum?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:11 pm There should be an access plate on one or both sides of the tower. Take that plate off and see if the wires reach down to there. That will at least point you to which side to look on. I have identical boat but its a 2017 but can't look at it until December.

EDIT: I had a look at my wiring diagram I got from Cobalt. There is a connection on the port side near the head that should have the port tower speakers. At the dash, there is a connection for the starboard speakers, It goes to an 8 pin connector at the amp.

I can send you the file if you send me a PM.
Hey Bruce - just sent you a PM to see if I could get that file. Thanks!
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Tandjmei8 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:08 am Hey Bruce - just sent you a PM to see if I could get that file. Thanks!
PM sent
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:10 am I have a manual 2021 folding tower. The tower comes prewired. Assuming they would be the same, on mine the left two channels came down through the port side. If you open the port seat where the battery switch is look up towards where the tower is mounted. Same for the right channels. There is a cover panel along the back of the cooler that you need to remove.
On my 2014 220, I added speakers. I could feel the wires come out of the port side of the tower base by reaching up from under the port side seat to the base of the tower. On the R5 it might be on the starboard side.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY