New server and hosting company

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

New server and hosting company

Post by jhnmdahl »

We transitioned from Bluehost to Knownhost on 2023-12-04, and were available but locked for new postings for a couple hours in the early afternoon. Our new server has allows us two processors and more memory, better support, and unlimited storage for attachments (we were starting to approach Bluehost's limits). It should be faster as well, but otherwise the same. Please let me know if you experience anything weird once you're logged back on,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: New server and hosting company

Post by AsLan7 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:44 pm We transitioned from Bluehost to Knownhost on 2023-12-04, and were available but locked for new postings for a couple hours in the early afternoon. Our new server has allows us two processors and more memory, better support, and unlimited storage for attachments (we were starting to approach Bluehost's limits). It should be faster as well, but otherwise the same. Please let me know if you experience anything weird once you're logged back on,

John
Nice buddy. Working so far for me.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Thanks - seems to be a good move so far.

And I don't know a whole lot about Temu, but they seem to be winning ad bids on our site quite a bit and are in essence paying for a significant portion of our hosting. Feels a bit odd not to have boat insurance, boat supplies, and the like around quite as much anymore, but if Temu's paying more for the ad space I'll take the contribution :)
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Sooo, I run an ad blocker. I also know hosting costs money. Do you have a donate link to help out?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

KAS, no we don't, but we can cover costs now with the ad revenue we get. Some members shut their ad blockers off for Cobaltchat and ignore the ads (although it looks like some click on them occasionally as well, which pays a LOT better).
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Just a quick note - Google decided to run an "optimization" that introduce a bunch more ads (mostly in between posts within a thread), which I stopped as soon as I became aware. So, if you saw a bunch of new ads in new places the first few days of March, that's what was going on.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:32 pm Just a quick note - Google decided to run an "optimization" that introduce a bunch more ads (mostly in between posts within a thread), which I stopped as soon as I became aware. So, if you saw a bunch of new ads in new places the first few days of March, that's what was going on.
I did notice this. Thanks for the update John.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:07 pm
jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:32 pm Just a quick note - Google decided to run an "optimization" that introduce a bunch more ads (mostly in between posts within a thread), which I stopped as soon as I became aware. So, if you saw a bunch of new ads in new places the first few days of March, that's what was going on.
I did notice this. Thanks for the update John.
I think Google keeps wanting to show year-over-year increases in revenue, so keeps mucking with how ads are presented. Some of Google's changes are easy to limit and some are not. It used to be that they'd ask you to "run an experiment," but now they just do it on their own and then when it results in a bump in ad revenue automatically switch you over to the new ad scheme with no obvious way to switch back.

I wish there were more competition for Google ads - I' be happy to give Facebook ads or something a try. Fortunately the Google ads do make enough even for a small site like ours to pay the hundreds of dollars in hosting fees we need per year, and I am grateful for that.

John
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

John, I'm having trouble uploading pictures.
Got this error message:

ERROR
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high. The submitted image is 1080 pixels wide and 1440 pixels high.

Picture I was trying to post was 816KB.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

test cat original is 6720x4880 and 5MB - auto-scaled correctly down to 1000x666

I sent a PM - if you can send me the image, I can see if I can figure out why it isn't working.
Longtail.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.