Finally got an R5 and have a couple of questions

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Finally got an R5 and have a couple of questions

Post by bruceb58 »

billk2632 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 am Regarding the fuel pump - this is a known issue for VP and is a result of paint chipping away from inside the fuel pump reservoir (why they painted it who knows!) ethanol fuel contributes to the issue.
I thought they fixed that issue WAY before 2014!
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:57 pm
billk2632 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 am Regarding the fuel pump - this is a known issue for VP and is a result of paint chipping away from inside the fuel pump reservoir (why they painted it who knows!) ethanol fuel contributes to the issue.
I thought they fixed that issue WAY before 2014!
According to Man Cave, they have not and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject. The only "fix" that I am aware of is they removed the screen in the fuel pressure regulator and replaced it with a E clip - I verified my 2014 has this "fix". I have never seen anything official from VP about the paint issue - was it fixed, not fixed or did it even really exist - I think they are pretty silent on the issue. From the inspection I have done (not a total disassembly) my fuel pump appears to be painted, BUT I am having no issues with it or paint chips and I think this is mainly because I never use ethanol fuel.
My point to the OP is the inspection on this is quick and easy AND if this turns out to be his issue, there are alternatives to a new (very expensive) VP fuel pump. Man Cave offers new and rebuilt pumps that he has removed all the paint from - I would at least check them out before I bought a new VP pump. I did my initial inspection, my pump is functioning fine, so I am not planning to dig any deeper into it until / if I start having issues. I will say that IF I ever had to purchase a new pump I would want to see for myself that it did not have paint.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

It sounds like the high and low pressure pumps themselves are Carter pumps, and they can be swapped into the fuel pressure pump assembly fairly easily once you've removed paint from the interior surfaces. Of course this guy will do it all for you for $500 or so - https://mancavemechanic.com/
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

I have 2014 R5 with the VP 380. My fuel pump started whining this summer and I sent it to Troy the ManCaveMechanic who refurbished it for a fair price (~$700? See website). He did not find paint damage on mine, but had other issues. (Failing LP pump, clogged cooling port, float and damaged HP port were all that I found wrong.). I would use again, highly recommended.

Re: windlass, if rope rode starts slipping, replace with all chain and be happy!
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine