New to me 2023 CS22 and First time boat owner

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
MnSeabalt
Ensign
Ensign

New to me 2023 CS22 and First time boat owner

Post by MnSeabalt »

Hey yall.

Just came into a 2023 Cs22 for a screaming deal. I'm getting it delivered to Seattle from out of state in a week or two. Cant wait! I'm a first time boat owner and stumbled into this boat recently and unexpectedly from a family members estate sale. The opportunity came out of nowhere and couldn't be passed. With that said I could (and probably will) ask multiple questions on this forum as I have a LOT to learn!

My first question though is about the engine. All I see on this forum is talk of the Duoprop and how great it is. You wouldn't even think they make a non dual prop if you didn't know otherwise! Well, my boat is coming with either the V6-250C-G SX - 240 hp (179 PkW) or V6-250G SX (non-cat) - 240 hp (179 PkW) - (I'm not positive which, does anyone know the functional difference?)

I'm a bit embarrassed to say but I feel a little bit of FOMO before I've even driven my new boat, because of not having this "Duoprop". I've read on here many times how it's a game changer?. That, combined with the fact I see most of the other CS owners on here have at least the 280hp engine, I'm really thinking about the power plant on my new boat! Where will I feel the difference and be missing out? Are there any pros to the non duo-prop besides saving some money if it needs to be replaced? How much would I be looking at to swap it out, if even possible? The unfortunate thing Is I wouldn't have even known what I was missing had I not come on this forum an hour ago :lol:
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New to me 2023 CS22 and First time boat owner

Post by jhnmdahl »

Welcome to the forum, Seabalt!

I wouldn't worry much about the duoprop. You do get a bit better "bite" on the water, but I suspect you won't miss it in a CS22. If it makes you feel any better, I have a V8-225 on my 21' Cobalt, and have never wished for more top-end horsepower. I just don't go much faster than "cruising speed" on plane at about 3500 rpm very often.

Swapping it out for a duo-prop isn't cheap - you replace the whole outdrive (i.e., everything outside of the boat), not just the propellers.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us MnSB....and great to see you in a Cobalt. Like John said, you'll be fine with the single prop. The duoprop gives you excellent hole shot (the time it takes to go from idling while sitting on the water to getting the boat on plane (running on top of the water.) It really helps when towing skiiers, wakeboarders, tubers, etc. Your single prop will take longer to get up on plane but it's still fine for most applications. I would not swap the drive out.

Looking forward to your pics. And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
MnSeabalt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MnSeabalt »

Thank you! Here's one pic for now. I'll take a couple more when the boat arrives and then post in the introduction forum.

dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Being a new boater you might be better off without a dual prop. It will have less response giving you a "softer" docking experience. I am sure it will also have enough power to get you anywhere you need to go at a beginner pace.
CS23
WaveSplitter
Ensign
Ensign

Post by WaveSplitter »

Don't stress too much about the outdrive choice. While the Duoprop might get all the attention, the single prop is still a reliable option.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

WaveSplitter wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:58 am Don't stress too much about the outdrive choice. While the Duoprop might get all the attention, the single prop is still a reliable option.

so true...and so glad you found us WS.

Any pics of your Cobalt?

And welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)