New R6...Registration letter font and anchor suggestions

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
bkpettyjohn
Ensign
Ensign

New R6...Registration letter font and anchor suggestions

Post by bkpettyjohn »

Hi all! Recently bought a brand new 2023 R6 and wanted to order my registration letter/numbers and wondering what font Cobalt uses...was going to order them from "Boatdecals.biz". Any input is appreciated! Also, I need to get an anchor and would like it to fit in the anchor locker like my older Chaparral. What anchor would you suggest that fits? TIA!
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Re: New R6...Registration letter font and anchor suggestions

Post by Tandjmei8 »

For the numbers on my Cobalt’s and Malibu’s, I’ve always used DomedNumbers. Here’s the link to the Cobalt letters. Can’t beat them for quality and look. https://www.domednumbers.com/online-sto ... -c22433291

For an anchor, I’ve always loved the small box anchor (plenty for R6) with no chain. Works great and folds up, if needed. I also use an Anchor Buddy bungee hooked up similar to the picture I’m attaching (ignore the shore connection). What this does is when there is a wind or wake, the bungee absorbs all of it and the anchor doesn’t even budge.

Happy decision making and money spending!
IMG_0291.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"I need to get an anchor and would like it to fit in the anchor locker . . ."

The primary consideration should not be: does it fit? But rather your typical anchoring conditions.

Add a windlass. Push a button. No need to worry about does it fit.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

bkpettyjohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm Hi all! Recently bought a brand new 2023 R6 and wanted to order my registration letter/numbers and wondering what font Cobalt uses...was going to order them from "Boatdecals.biz". Any input is appreciated! Also, I need to get an anchor and would like it to fit in the anchor locker like my older Chaparral. What anchor would you suggest that fits? TIA!
So glad you found us bk....

That website TandJ...uses above is fantastic. Btw, check you state regulation book to make sure you are meeting the correct height and block lettering requirement. We had script reg numbers on an older Cobalt. They looked cool but technically they were out of reg. CG never said anything fortunately.

We used a Danforth anchor for our 262 and 263 which worked well on the sandy bottoms of lake Erie. It fit well in the bow anchor locker too.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

The anchor is always a situation based thing. I use a box anchor, I usually anchor in 30-100ft of water with mud/rock on the bottom, on a lake with an inconsistent breeze. If you boat on a river you can use something much different/lighter. Due to the depth and number of other boats when I anchor the shorter my anchor line the better, the box anchor doesn't work if too much line is out but does well when not much line is out. However it is very heavy and the wife has trouble lifting it.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

I have a lLarge and a small box anchor. Last year at Lake Powell I had both out and I still dragged on the muddy bottom on 2 different nights after the wind shifted 180 degrees in the middle of the night. This year, I need to try something different.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Fortress anchor Fx-7 fits in the anchor box of my R5. Awesome anchor. I use 25' of 1/4" chain. It can hold my boat in 20 MPH wind on Lake Tahoe.

I have a box anchor on my pontoon boat and I use it on muddy bottoms. It basically doesn't hold at all in any kind of wind...it basically controls my drift LOL.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I believe the letters are Times Regular (not Times New Roman) stretched to 125%, and the numbers are Garamond Italic stretched to 120%. Both fonts are easy to find online if you don't already have them.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
bkpettyjohn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bkpettyjohn »

Thanks for all the responses! Good info! I'm leaning towards the Fortress FX-7...very similar to what my current Chaparral uses. I'll keep the boat on Lake Lanier in Georgia. I've delayed taking delivery as I need to sell old boat to make room on my dock. I bought it in Feb. so I am chomping at the bit to get the new ride. Getting it delivered this Friday! I'll post pics when I get a chance!