NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Re: Red Flags

Post by NautiWeasel »

Tandjmei8 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm
NautiWeasel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 am

Seems like it would be obvious if you were actively pulling someone - it's when you're no longer actively pulling them that they're at risk!
Yep, my thoughts exactly, but I wasn't going to argue with law enforcement. That's never a good idea, or a winning option.
Good discussion. I’m actually opposite on this one. I’ve had other boaters come up to me to say that if we’re anchored and swimming, then we need to have the flag up, which is incorrect. The flag is to signal to other boaters that there is a skier down, so other boats need to look further away from the boat - scan the area. If I’m anchored and they don’t notice a 25’ boat, then I don’t think the orange flag is going to help them…they’ve already broken a lot of boating safety rules by that point.
I see your point as well. Agreed, good discussion. I guess what gives me solace is that we are all thinking about this, and that alone tells me that we all care about what happens around us. If only everyone could be so vigilant!
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Red Flags

Post by jhnmdahl »

A dive flag typically indicates a diver may be in the water, but is really for the safety of the diver when at the surface. It's commonly used for snorkeling, spearfishing, etc. too, so may be a reasonable option for swimming off the boat if they don't like a solid flag?
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)