Volvo Flush Connection - forgot to put cap on

billk2632
Captain
Captain

Volvo Flush Connection - forgot to put cap on

Post by billk2632 »

This might have already been addressed, but I could not find a thread on it. I have a 2014 VP-300 that has a flush attachment inside the engine compartment (newer engines have one at the outdrive AND I think in the engine compartment). I knew that you want to be sure not to forget to put the cap on after using it, as it will cause the water pump to suck air -- well the other day I ran the engine on a wash rack using the flush attachment and forgot to put the cap back on. Went to take the boat out later and as I was idle away from the dock heard a strange squealing noise. Opened the engine hatch and saw right away the cap was not on the flush hose. Shut it down (engine did not overheat - although I think it would have). The raw water pump housing was hot to the touch, engine temp was 160 but climbing and the squealing was water getting splashed onto the serpentine belt. Put the cap on and cranked it up and things cooled right down and worked fine. Today I decided to pull the impeller to make sure I didn't damage it -- looked fine, no missing blades or anything -- was new installed a couple of weeks ago. My point here is watch that flush attachment - I would say I dodged a bullet - had I sped up and not heard the different engine noise I am pretty sure the next thing would have been the overheat alarm and probably a burned up impeller. I do most of my own work and just forgot it this time -- lesson learned!
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Re: Volvo Flush Connection - forgot to put cap on

Post by NautiWeasel »

Good piece of advice, billk2632.
I had the alarm save me last summer. Boat full of people, loaded and pulling away from the dock. Alarm went off, and it said it was for high temperature (wasn't much above 180*). Shut her down ASAP, and found I needed a new impeller (only 20 hours on the previous, per dealer). As much as I don't like the warning beeps, pay attention to any sounds or beep that isn't normal, and it just may save you hundreds/thousands of dollars.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Volvo Flush Connection - forgot to put cap on

Post by mdadgar »

NautiWeasel wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:42 am Good piece of advice, billk2632.
I had the alarm save me last summer. Boat full of people, loaded and pulling away from the dock. Alarm went off, and it said it was for high temperature (wasn't much above 180*). Shut her down ASAP, and found I needed a new impeller (only 20 hours on the previous, per dealer). As much as I don't like the warning beeps, pay attention to any sounds or beep that isn't normal, and it just may save you hundreds/thousands of dollars.
I've had this EXACT experience too.

Love that the Volvo impellers are easily replaced at the dock - ask me how I know. And ask me why I only use Volvo Penta OEM impellers now.
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars