Sports arch

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Sports arch

Post by Tuscany »

I have another opinion request for my order.
I need the stainless/aluminum sports arch like I need a hole in my head. I'm 57, and my idea of water sports is sitting in a heated swimming pool watching football.
But, the style it adds to the boat drives home the look for me. I also like the permanent cover up top.
So the only downside, other than the cost is this..it looks like the sides block all side vision from the back seat.
Since there isn't a Cobalt with an arch to see within 200 miles from me, what are the opinions of the owners who have the option on whether it blocks site lines or not. Other issues I'm not thinking of besides height?
Thanks again guys,
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Sports arch

Post by jhnmdahl »

I don't have an R5, but the sight line in my 210 with the larger forward-leaning white aluminum arch (i.e., the big one) isn't something we've ever noticed while out and about.

I tried to use it intentionally to frame a photo (halfway down the page) at viewtopic.php?f=44&t=159
- even up close it doesn't block much view.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Thanks for the reply.
I should smarten up and put the money on the 430 instead, but I can't ignore how sexy the boat looks with the stainless/aluminum arch,
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

There are quite a few at my marina. The view is not a problem. The only issue is if you're neurotic and clean them a lot the black shows swirl marks easily but the white does not. It's not a problem at all on the folding arch.
Jsmithcds
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsmithcds »

I see you live in Buffalo and as I too am live with a 3 month boating season my family and I leave the top folded up a good deal of the summer. I detest sun on my receding hair line. That being said when is 70-75 degrees out and you are making a run the sun feels pretty good and with the top up my crew tends to get cold. I have the white tower and see no issues with view on the A28. Being able to fold the arch will help with resale if someone has a boat lift or boathouse. In either case a folding tower is necessary.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

You know, the funny thing is that we currently own a 2002 Chaparral Sunesta, and I haven't opened the Bimini one single time.
I honestly don't know what the boat looks like with it open. I have no idea what shape the fabric is in because I've never seen it.
My wife and kids are sun lovers, and I personally like the shade, but once under way, the sun feels good unless it's 95 degrees.
But the sun on the water also wears me out at the end of the day.

Since I'm ordering, I have time to examine everything. There isn't much I'm leaving crossed off on the option sheet.
With the solid arch, the shade is fixed and small, so everyone should be happy. I'll probably never touch the shade until it's time to store it.
I definitely like the look of the non folding stainless/aluminum arch better. But as you said, it will come with challenges that the folding arch solves. A LOT of challenges, like storage and bridge height, but neither is a deal breaker for us.
The folding option isnt as attractive or follows the lines as well on the R5 IMO.
I wish it did because that would solve a lot of issues.

Resale wont be an issue because I'll be keeping it for years to come.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I got the seagrass instead of carpet, and that's on my must-have list. I got a Volvo V8 for my 210 along with the white aluminum wakeboard arch, and I'd get all three again without hesitation. Optioned it up planning to keep it for years, much like you are thinking.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Living in western NY, we are lucky to have three months to enjoy out boats, so my yearly hour totals are low. I keep our boat on a trailer, so no pounding against a dock all summer. It's covered from bow to stern to the ground.

We have owned our Chaparral for 13 years, and it still looks and shines like brand new.
I am sure our Cobalt will look the same in 13 years.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Ah the lovely Western, NY boating season. Blink and you miss it.

Mine is still on the lift. Getting down to Canandaguia Saturday for hopefully nice weather.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Haha, right?
Before we know it, the lakes will be frozen solid.
But that is what makes the boating season around here so special.

The only reason my season is done is because of my current boat is in the process of being traded, otherwise we would be enjoying our boat until it turns cold.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

What is your current boat if I don't mind asking?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

We own a Chaparral Sunesta 233.
It's been a unbelievably trouble free boat.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Has anyone listened to the speaker quality of the Rockford Fosgate tower speaker option?
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

My question also is a 6.5 soaker good enough on a tower. My wife hates loud music so it's never that loud on the boat. Just wondering can you hear it good enough while swimming. I saw some Roswell and JL 6.5 that are priced good.
I have not personally listened to Rockford but I had there amp.It was ok I had kicker speakers and a bit too much low end for me. I'm a crisp clean treble guy.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
proptwister
Ensign
Ensign

Post by proptwister »

Here is the SS/White non-folding arch on our R7. We have not had any viewing issues with the wide base at all. Never even gave it a thought really until I read your post.
2016 R7 Volvo 380 DP