Sports arch

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sports arch

Post by Big Block Power »

This is a buddies boat on the other forum I'm on. He has the 380 with evc and just added tabs. He loves the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

People come up with some unique color combinations. I like he pale yellow on top more than I thought I might.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Jsmithcds
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsmithcds »

That is a sharp boat. The blue boot stripe and the blue bimini work well together.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That is cool. I'm an all white/blue boot kinda guy.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Old boat sold, and ironically I won't be ordering the arch on my new Cobalt. I love the look, but I came to terms that I need it to fold over style. So, ez fold Bimini it is. The folding aluminum arch looks like crap IMO, and doesn't do the boat justice.

I have a lot of time before my order slot can be altered, and it's costing me a lot of money.

I've moved from an R5 to an R7. Loaded up pretty good. Still considering electric toilet over portipotty, and maybe a cockpit sink.
I started at 130k, and now up to 152k. Someone stop me.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

That's funny right there. Throw him a anchor.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote:That's funny right there. Throw him a anchor.lol
No kidding.
Obviously the price I posted are MSRP numbers, but geeezus...the final number is still huge.
The problem is simple. I'll be keeping this boat for a number of years, and we might as well order it with no regrets.
I can't believe how long and expensive the "no regrets" list can be....and I haven't gotten to the trailer yet.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's awesome. By my calculations you could buy approximately 8 of my boats for that number.

You could get a different color combo for each day of the week and use the leftover boat as a porta potty. :D

I am a big proponent of knowing what you want and going and getting it. Congratulations, when you are in it on the water the first time it'll be worth it.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Quite honestly, I never saw myself buying a new boat..EVER, and I still can't believe I'm going through with it.
My wife was tossing the question around a couple of years ago, and I told her she was nuts, and that I would never sell our boat because we just don't use it enough. We own our own business with a lot of employees and we are busy all summer. I thought spending 50k was insane for the time we were able to use it, and here I am spending twice that. I am fortunate that I'm not having to take out a loan. Loans and toys are against my fiber.

Problem was that I stopped by my dealers showroom asking him if they have a line on a used 27-28' Chap, Sea Ray or something comparable.
And of course, he shows me the new R5 they had in stock, and that he would toss me a price I would like.
And of course now all other boats which I thought were of top quality now look like cheap Walmart specials when compared to a Cobalt.
And of course, I brought my wife up to see it the next week.
And of course she loves it, and she is more conservative than me.
And of course, I bite, and want to order something with the power and options "I" want.
And of course, I'm thinking the original idea was to step up the length to 27'-28' because Lake Erie can get rough.
And of course, my boat quickly sold.
So here I am, and we better use the crap out of it in the coming years.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Cobalt - "There is no Substitute" in my Tom Cruise in Risky Business voice.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Tuscany wrote:Old boat sold, and ironically I won't be ordering the arch on my new Cobalt. I love the look, but I came to terms that I need it to fold over style. So, ez fold Bimini it is. The folding aluminum arch looks like crap IMO, and doesn't do the boat justice.
I like the folding aluminum arch on most Cobalts, but I don't know why the one on the R7 appears to be half white and half bare metal. The all-white looks pretty sharp to my eye, but the bare metal less so.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

They are two different arches.
The fixed one looks great, but for those of us who transport our boats to the water, height and storage is an issue.
The folding one has the open pipes, but just doesn't look like it belongs on a Cobalt.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
proptwister
Ensign
Ensign

Post by proptwister »

Why did you decide against the arch? I know you said you trailer your boat but the top is really very easy to remove. Some velcro straps, couple snaps, and a strap down the middle.

I understand they are pricey! Was just curious?
2016 R7 Volvo 380 DP
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The arch was purely aesthetics for me. LOVE the look. I wish it folded. The folding aluminum arch Cobalt offers looks..well...
My kids are not wake boarders, and I don't believe we can't tow inflatable water toys with it because of structure concerns.

Storage and parking are the issues for me, and I just had to come to terms with giving it up.
I'll end up building another heated garage that I've needed for a long time anyway.
With the arch height on a trailer, I'll need a 14' high building to clear it.
With a folding Bimini. A 10' door will do. That will make for a more attractive garage design without looking like a pole barn, plus it will save me building and heating costs.

I do have another question for you, although slightly awkward...
Since I've not had the opportunity to see an R7, you are better able to advise me on this.
In the head area, I'm thinking of opting for the electric flush with the 10 gallon tank.
Is there enough room in there for people to actually use it comfortably?
I'm a bigger guy at 6' 250, and never used the head in our old boat, none of us used it because we have our Lake destinations to stop and get out. But as we get older, I'm not sure how well our bladders will be holding up after a few beverages. ;).
Might be something to consider.
Thoughts?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
proptwister
Ensign
Ensign

Post by proptwister »

I understand completely. I'm fortunate in that I have a 60' x80' heated shop that I keep our toyhauler,as well as the boat, in over winter. That toyhauler needs a 14' tall door (16' walls) so the solid arch doesn't present a problem.

You might want to double check on that 10' tall door. My old 242 had the foldable biminni top and it would not fit thru the 10' tall door in the transport position. I would have to take the back supports loose and let it rest flat on the sun pad. Not that big of a deal but just thought you should know.

I wish I could honestly answer you on the electric flush. Its what ours has but we picked our R7 up around the 4th of July and did not use the head this summer. We have 3 boys so bathrooms are usually easy to address! I have sat on the head to see how much room there is and while I would not want to spend an extended amount of time down there (I'm 5'11 and 230) there is adequate room to take care of "business" so to speak.

Anxious to see your new boat!
2016 R7 Volvo 380 DP